• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:24 Heywood Wheel & PAP Project...

Started by RoughboyModelworks, September 05, 2010, 11:18:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artizen

This is right up there with the stuff on buntbahn!!!!!

Looking really good. Can't wait to see the finished thing now.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

JohnP

Holy crap that thing is beautiful! Looks cast to me. Some may say it is a little coarse in the cast texture, but having it slightly amplified gives it life and a manufacturing origin.

Hurry up and turn the tire man! Please show us how you will be mounting the tread- probably not with a flaming gas-fired ring I would imagine.

John
John Palecki

RoughboyModelworks

Thanks for the good words guys. No John, I don't think I'll be using a flaming ring to sweat on the tire, though I'm sure it would be fairly dramatic... ;)

Received a photo today from Mike Decker of a prototype wheel (paint's not original by the way but does show off the texture and lettering quite well). Seeing the original, I'm very pleased with the way the "printed" version turned out.

Paul

davej

I thought that was your finished wheel at first glance!

Have you considered turning a lip on the front of the wheel tire (tyre) and then press the insert in from the rear. You wouldn't have the join line on the front face then.

d

Chuck Doan

It looked to me like you had added the texture in the CAD file. Looks great!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

RoughboyModelworks

Thanks guys... Chuck, the texture you see in the renderings is in the rendering file only, not in the file that was printed.

Dave... I had thought of that idea but, with my present tooling it would complicate the tire machining process considerably. My tooling is set up to turn the tire with the flange side towards the headstock. By boring straight through it is possible to turn the tire with one machine setup. Turning a lip on the front edge would require reversing the stock at some point in the machining process and would potentially introduce concentric inaccuracy between the bore and the tread. It would also be possible to use a formed internal boring bar that could leave a lip on the face edge eliminating the need to reverse the stock, but that introduces its own set of challenges. I don't think, once the wheels are painted that the join line on the face will be too obvious. I've exaggerated the difference in the renderings to illustrate the different parts.

Here is a rendering of the revised wheel. I wasn't entirely happy with the size and positioning of the lettering and seeing the prototype wheel confirmed that it needed more work. I increased the size of the lettering by 2 points and reduced the diameter of the base line by .5" to bring the lettering closer to the hub as on the prototype. I also removed the slight chamfering on the letters to make them a little crisper. The chamfer detail was just below the detail resolution limit of the rapid prototyping process so there is no need to include it. I believe it contributed to the slight "softness" of the lettering in the first test.

Paul

Hector Bell

Paul,
The real wheel exhibits a section which is not on your rendering.  Also the writing is shown to be less tapered in section.  It is a BIT tapered from top to bottom, but not as much as your rendering and might be the reason for the softness at the bottom edges.
You are, of course, completely bonkers, btw<G>

Martin

RoughboyModelworks

Martin:

Yes, I've noticed the contour on the prototype wheel is slightly different than what I've drawn, which is curious since the cross section I used was taken directly from that wheel. At this point it's not something I'm going to worry about, I believe it's close enough for this project.

As far as being completely bonkers, you are absolutely correct and I'm not afraid to admit it...  ;D  Of course it's a good sort of bonkers, unlike many of the individuals I have the dubious pleasure of working with during my day job... ;)

Paul

Hector Bell

Ah!...well, that's odd and somewhere in pootahland, so I'll shut up!  I just couldn't help notice the light lines in the rendering were clearly not the "S" shape of the wheel's section, but if it doesn't show up on the final job, fair enough.

Bonkers, of course, is just fine.  I doubt if any of us is truly "normal".  God forbid!

Martin

RoughboyModelworks

Did some more fiddling with the first test wheel center. Decided since the center won't be used in the final model, it would make a good discarded part in the final diorama. So I stripped the original paint, primed it, repainted the base rust coats and weathered it up to look like an old discarded part. Then to photograph it I placed it on an old diorama base to give it some context.

Paul

eTraxx

Paul .. that's very .. very .. nice. Excellent!
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

Now, that part really looks the part!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

james_coldicott

Paul,

nice paintwork- I like the way the casting marks and date will act as a subtle historical reference next to the finished model. Can I ask if there was a technical issue getting the wheels true and attaching the turned tyre? What will you be using as an alternative on the loco and rolling stock? Or have I missed something in a previous post?

James

marc_reusser

That looks like a real wheel...I want to see it with the giant penny! ;D

So what was the issue?...was it in general using PAP for the centers or only this specific one?

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Ray Dunakin

Looks great -- I thought it was a reference photo of the real thing until I read the text.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World