• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Need help finding photos of old moving truck or van

Started by DaKra, September 29, 2010, 05:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finescalerr

One of my advertisers, Jeff Damerst at Shawmut Car Shops, can print white on clear. He has a website or you can phone him; the number is in the ad. If you decide to go that route, Jeff does good, clean work. -- Russ

chester

The ability to print white exists with the Alps printer of course. But I would like, as Dave, to be able to do dry transfers with a PC printer. There's a lot of good clear decal paper out there but the edges of water slide decals have always been a problem for me when weathering.
And I agree Dave, the white decal paper is thick and rubbery. They simply put a white coating on clear paper which adds to it's thickness.

DaKra

here's the little guy in primer.

lab-dad

BKLN

The tarp turned out very nice. Those grey primer jobs are such exciting moment when a model turns from a cluster of different components into one harmonic piece.

DaKra

I like primer phase, too.  But the finishing work makes me a little apprehensive.  Potential to ruin a lot of work. 

Here's the little junkmobile in paint and decals and preliminary weathering.  I weathered a bit before the decals, after thinking about Chester's earlier comment about decals.    The red is too bright, it will tone down some when the matte coat goes on.   

Dave

chester

This is turning out very nice Dave. That's a terrific body configuration well executed. The decals turned out nice too but I'll agree the red needs toning down. In the future perhaps just using a different red would help. I always have that 'scale effect' thing in mind when doing anything in this scale and I think color choice is easier than trying to alter a too bright color.

JohnP

Since the truck will be in a diorama for showcasing Dave's wares, the brighter red side panel could be an effective draw. Bright highlights in a photo, painting or diorama will direct a viewer around a scene and create focus points. Might as well leave it before dousing it with grayness.

John
John Palecki

DaKra

Hadn't thought about that but yeah, the red is good to draw the eye back to the foreground where the truck will be parked with the other detail pieces.    I see a few other things I'd do differently on the decals, but since I'm working on a tight schedule, I have to leave it as-is.   However, I made the relevant changes to the decal and laser graphics, because I will probably build this model again someday for another diorama.

One problem with the decal paper I'm using, it stretches.  Just sliding it off the paper is enough to distort it a little and in this scale a little is a lot.  I've never experienced this with commercially printed decals.   I can make the graphic slightly narrower, but I'd rather just get a better quality decal paper. 

The clear decal paper I use now is from MicroMark.  Does anyone have a recommendation for a better product? 

Chuck Doan

So far I have only used Testors' white decal film, and it does the same thing. It acts like a vinyl decal, not a normal water-slide like Microscale makes.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

chester

Dave, I have tried the Testors white paper and also the Bare Metal Foil white paper (yes they sell decal paper too, their clear is good) I found the BMF white paper very similar to the Testors. The other I tried is JetCal ( thedecalpaperstore.com )which isn't rubbery but very thick. I suppose it has it's place for some things but not the sides of a 1/87 scale vehicle. It's so thick it will not lay down in surface details at all even with multiple applications of a setting solution.

DaKra

The little guy is finished.   Parked in a diorama it really looks the part, so overall, I'm happy with it.   I'll do a few things differently next time.

Dave 

DaKra

Darn, spoke too soon, forgot the rear view mirror!   :D

RoughboyModelworks

Very nice Dave... dang that's tiny. The canvas sections came out very well, most convincing...

Paul

Gordon Ferguson

Dave,

really, really neat, almost tempts me to go back to that scale again but think my fingers are now too big ;D
Gordon