• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Need help finding photos of old moving truck or van

Started by DaKra, September 29, 2010, 05:41:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

That looks really great! Especially considering the small size. Very well done!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

JohnP

Damn, that is great. I am glad that someone here is doing fine work in 1:87.1.

Do you use Optivisors? Magnifier lamps? Loupes? Microscopes? Just lucky with good eyes?

John
John Palecki

DaKra

Thanks guys.   :)

John, the last model I built without glasses or optivisor was the 1/87 Weston Station on my website.   That was 2008.   Now I can't do much model work without my reading glasses on.   I've also become reliant on my Optivisor for fine work.  I do have a stereo microscope, but its not as useful for model building as I thought it would be.  It does come in handy for understanding how materials react in the laser, etc.   More a troubleshooting device than an aid to assembly.   

When I look at the detail work I did on military models back in the 90s, I recall doing it without any optical assistance.    :-\     That reminds me, I should look into ways to lessen the strain on my eyes, since I'd like to keep on doing this sort of work!   

Dave

Philip Smith

Beautiful little truck Dave. If it gets to small there is always O-scale. ;D

Ken Hamilton

This is probably too little-too late, Dave, but I just
saw this on the side of the road the other day:

Some of the interior shots might help on your next one.  Here's the link:

http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/reference_files/step-van-1/

Your truck turned out great!  See you soon at CSS.........
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

JohnP

Quote from: DaKra on October 11, 2010, 05:52:43 AM
That reminds me, I should look into ways to lessen the strain on my eyes, since I'd like to keep on doing this sort of work!   

Start working in 1:48 like I did. If that doesn't work, go to 1:13.7 in the garden like I have (that scale works better with imbibations). If that doesn't work get a large screen TV and watch steam videos from the recliner (works best with imbibations). :P

John
John Palecki

DaKra

Hm, not quite ready to move to Lionel Scale ;D thinking more like move workbench to window, so I'm not always focused at 12" in front of my face.   

Ken, thanks for the photos, those are great references.   Amazing that this old delivery van survived as long as it did.  I think my little model shows how cool it would look, if somebody restored it back to its prime.   

Here's a photo in its natural habitat.   It will be at CSS10. 

Dave

chester

This talk of losing vision always has me worried. My modeling glasses have removable lenses and I have increased their power several times over the last few years.
   The black & white shot is really nice Dave. I would love to see this in person and was hoping to get to CSS10 this year but it falls on my wife's 60th birthday.  :-\

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: chester on October 17, 2010, 10:53:37 AM
it falls on my wife's 60th birthday.
That's PERFECT!  What better way to say "I Love You" than to take your wife to CSS??
See you there, Chester.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

DaKra

Yeah and while you are there, you could give her some HO scale flowers.   ;)  I'll actually have those at my table. 

The eyesight thing is an important health & quality of life issue that's rarely discussed.  You hear a lot about diet, but not much about eyesight except when you are a kid, your mom tells you not to sit too close to the TV, then you get a job and spend 10 hrs a day staring at a computer monitor...  :-\

Anyway, here's a photo I found for Chester.

marc_reusser

Quote from: DaKra on October 09, 2010, 03:32:56 PM
The little guy is finished.   Parked in a diorama it really looks the part, so overall, I'm happy with it.   I'll do a few things differently next time.

Dave 

Dave,

I don't know how I missed this...DOH!...What a great litle build and result. You should be very happy with it.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on October 17, 2010, 12:47:55 PM
Quote from: chester on October 17, 2010, 10:53:37 AM
it falls on my wife's 60th birthday.
That's PERFECT!  What better way to say "I Love You" than to take your wife to CSS??
See you there, Chester.

Yes he is right Chester.  Diane went last year and is going this year.  And it looks like Dave is going to make it all the worth while, and I heard Ken is bringing a few of his gems along also.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin