• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

European Logging 1900’s

Started by glaskasten, October 03, 2010, 03:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

Again...I  know it's not Europe....but I happened to have these on the HD, and they are O&K equipment...so maybe of some interest....the top one is Argentina, and the bottom one is Paraguay.

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Found that I had already scanned the timber truck pages from a different O&K catalog (same info as in the Czech catalog....just with English info/text)......

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

Hmm...looks like I will have to scan the Czech catalog after all...there are some further variants in it that are not on the preceeding 3 pages.
...there are also some photos of logging operations/lines in there, that I will scan as well.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Here is another image of an O&K Firewood/Pulpwood car I found on my HD

MR

M-Works

glaskasten

Marc

Quoteyou might be able to use and cut into the correct length pieces, the PE band saw blade that comes in the HO scale Keystone Models band saw kit.

Perhaps it is my searching skills,  but I can not find any Keystone Models band saw  other than the entire Band saw Mill kits at high prices.   

Based on how small the teeth are on these saws,  shim stock might substitute. 

marc_reusser

Paul,

i don't know if you are still working on this project, but I picked up the atached image a few weeks back. It's not Central European...and I don't know what time frame....But I believe around WW1

Its in France, and looks to be a tie mill....and possibly a general lumber mill as well.

Marc

M-Works

glaskasten

Marc;

Thank you for all the wonderful photos.  These make good references.  I am still working on this project.  However,  I made the mistake of picking up 2 history books on European Sawmills.  These are in German and extremely difficult to translate. 

Gaebeler, Jürgen  Volkskundlich-historisches Sammelsurium über Sägemühlen und Sägen
ISBN :     978-3-941300-15-6
Gaebeler, Jürgen Frühgeschichte der Sägemühlen   ISBN 3935638-20-5

There appears to be great deal of pride in the old sawmills in the German Schwarzwald.  These are a bit older than the mills of 1900 I am searching to replicate. Like all books on the subject,  they spend more time discussing the saws,  and less on the process of  getting wood to and from the saw.   I would like to know how the logs and lumber are moved within the mill. 

Paul

glaskasten

Anlage, Einrichtung und Betrieb der Sägewerke
By Georg Braune  published  H. Costenoble, 1901 available at Googlebooks.com
This shows some interior sketches of a sawmills for the pre-1910 era.  This should be a great deal of help.

I am looking for another book
Edgar Finsterbusch, Werner Thiele: Vom Steinbeil zum Sägegatter; Ein Streifzug durch die Geschichte der Holzbearbeitung. Leipzig 1987, ISBN 3-343-00275-5

German Logging tools are a bit different than those used in North America.  Some of these might have been used on the central US and Northeast where the loggers were immigrant central Europeans with centuries of experience in the forest back home. 

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapie   primary log loader along with Cant Hook
http://www.binder-krieglstein.com/holzknechtmuseum/html/sappl.html

The favored tool was the Sapie.  It was not uncommon to have the bark stripped off the log in the forest with a Zugmesser.  Logs are often photographed bare of bark.  I believe this is because the logs were dried in the forest not at the mill

http://www.fotohintermann.de/portfolio/Waldkirchener/pages/190106Wei%df%20K%e4thl%20Kopie.htm  Not a high res photo,  but shows industry track layout.

Sägemühle Kottingwörth

from the DSO www.drehscheibe-foren.de

JohnP

Quote from: glaskasten on January 11, 2011, 11:14:54 AM
I am looking for another book
Edgar Finsterbusch, Werner Thiele: Vom Steinbeil zum Sägegatter; Ein Streifzug durch die Geschichte der Holzbearbeitung. Leipzig 1987, ISBN 3-343-00275-5

I found this: alibris books. Perhaps you could order the book there.

Looks like a great subject for modeling once you gather all the info needed. I wonder if sawmills in Germany were as "messy" as American operations.

John
John Palecki

jacq01

put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

glaskasten

I found a book on Google Books whihc documented the   I am not certain the Google Books link works for all parts of the world. Book is Anlage, Einrichtung und Betrieb der Sägewerke By Georg Braune,  published in 1901.   http://books.google.com/books?id=k1QDAAAAYAAJ

This book has a good sketch of the loading device shown previously. Image is on page 132.
Page of book

My best estimate from translating the book is the device was built by Jul Wolff & Co in Heilbronn.

There are a number of other sketches in the book for devices associated with the European industry.

Paul

Terry Harper

The Widegren Wooden Railroad system developed in Sweden by K.A. & E.H. Widegren. Photos from a 15 page sales brochure printed in French and English.

At least one company was seriously considering using this system this side of the pond.

Ray Dunakin

Interesting... appears to be similar to a pole road but a little more elaborate.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World