• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Blacksmith details

Started by Philip Smith, October 04, 2010, 09:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

Philip Smith

JohnP

That is cool stuff. I watched a smith in his smithy doing his smithing at the http://www.blueridgeinstitute.org/ one Fall day. It was hot, cramped, loud and real fun to see. It is one of those things I always wanted to try. Your set of parts will make a finely detailed scene.

John
John Palecki

Philip Smith

John, A pretty good moonshine section at that website . Another one of my scale addictions!
Nice little submarine still! 
Philip

Chuck Doan

Looks well researched, Phillip! ;D
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

marklayton

Philip -

Very nice painting and weathering - the castings really came to life.  Except for the 20th century heavy chipping vise, this scene looks very appropriate for countless rural blacksmiths from the late 18th century through the 1880s.  The grindstone is timeless, and London-pattern anvils (single horn) were being imported as early as the 1750s.  Once electricity and one-lung gas engines appeared on the scene, bellows quickly gave way to blowers, and belt-driven Little Giant power hammers replaced the apprentice swinging a sledge hammer.  Some bellows did survive into the early 20th century, but that was not very common if the smith was at all successful.

The heavy timber structure to support the crane is a nifty touch.  It could also support a lever-arm "drill press."  Drilling into iron was tough work before wall-mount, screw-feed blacksmith's drill presses arrived after the Civil War.  Which is why most holes were punched hot.  The smith could buy metal-cutting bits for his bit brace, but you can imagine the force that must be applied!  So when a drilled hole was needed, it was common to use a long wooden lever arm to apply great pressure onto a bit brace.  Can't lay my hands on a photo.  Think in terms of sturdy table attached to, or sitting against one of the vertical posts.  A lever, perhaps 3' long would pivot from the post, mounted around chest-level.  The metal to be drilled is laid on the table, a bit brace is positioned under the lever arm, and the smith would pull down on the free end of the lever while reaching to turn the brace.  We can't imagine what a boon electricity was to these guys!

You mounted the lever arm correctly for the bellows.  I built a bellows set for the historic blacksmith shop in a park in Kingsville, MD, and I've demonstrated with the bellows at another museum shop.  Two-chambered forge bellows are heavy; the mechanical advantage of the long lever is essential, and it needs to be right by the forge.

My shop is not so romantic – pneumatic forging hammer, hydraulic press, milling machines, power saws, and other modern conveniences!

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

Philip Smith

Mark,

I'm actually trading the vise out for a leg vise and adding a swage block. Should take delivery early January. Thanks for sharing first hand knowledge. Very interesting this bit brace? I'll search for photos as I don't recall seeing or reading about that devise. May have to add another item if I can locate a photo.

thank you!   

Philip     

Philip Smith

Finally finished this one........

finescalerr

Frederic Testard

The scene is very nice, setting it outside seems an interesting concept.
Frederic Testard

Philip Smith

Quote from: Frederic Testard on February 28, 2011, 03:24:59 AM
The scene is very nice, setting it outside seems an interesting concept.

yes a certain remedy for rust and extra maintenance.

thanks gents!

Malachi Constant

Philip --

You've got an awful lot of interesting detail packed into both the moonshine and blacksmith scenes ... I want to point out something especially interesting, like the details on the bellows or something, then my mind and eyes wander over to some other curiosity.  Neat stuff!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Philip Smith

thanks Dallas!

The moonshine dio isn't mine. It's from the link John provided. Wanted to hammer that home. :)
Phil

Philip Smith

Russ,

Thanks for allowing the free advertising plug! Many thanks! It's official, all ten kits are sold!  A second run is in the works, hopefully in a couple of .... No hurry. 8)

Philip