• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Blacksmith details

Started by Philip Smith, October 04, 2010, 09:44:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Smith

A few 1/48th details I'm currently working on. The blacksmith is from Aspen models, figured I'd put him to work doing something besides holding a hammer. These details may not meet your high standards, but figured I'd participate just the same. I have a few more items to complete,  coal box, need to hollow out the quench barrel, and make a crank handle for the grinding wheel. Not shown is the stoker handle. All of the items are cast resin from hand made masters. I really need to familiarize myself with print-a-part and the software. 

Philip       

lab-dad

It all looks good to me! I missed the smithy at Aspen's booth.
They have a neat looking forge too.
-Marty

Philip Smith

Quote from: lab-dad on October 04, 2010, 09:47:30 AM
It all looks good to me! I missed the smithy at Aspen's booth.
They have a neat looking forge too.
-Marty

Thanks Marty! The AM forge is not up on the website as of yet. Here is a better picture with the hideous yellow background removed.

I'm having major difficulties casting that crank handle. Gravity is not my friend. I guess resin has its limitations?

Philip

Ken Hamilton

(Who ever said our standards were HIGH?)
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Belg

Philip, I think these are very well done. Why not use a small piece of brass wire and bend it to shape needed? Are you making these to sell or for your own use? Can't wait to see them finished and painted. Pat

finescalerr

Everything I see looks fine. I suspect judicious use of fine sandpaper here and there would improve whatever you consider imperfect. -- Russ

Philip Smith

Thanks for the nods and comments.  Much appreciated!

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on October 04, 2010, 01:31:58 PM
(Who ever said our standards were HIGH?)

Ken: I have noticed your lumber stacker posts here and a big difference of the perception of your contest results on the other RLF forum. No battery explanation over there. I for one hadn't noticed the 12 volt battery. Just a beautifully well done model!  :)

Quote from: Belg on October 04, 2010, 01:31:58 PM
Why not use a small piece of brass wire and bend it to shape needed? Are you making these to sell or for your own use?

Pat: I want a crank handle similar to a butter churn and yes I'll eventually sell this item. I'm unfortunately colored blind so I may decline showing the finished item for now. I'm leaning toward a tiny crank handle similar to the one in the photo, very tedious casting (slow and time consuming)! Oh the joy of 1/48th!

Quote from: finescalerr on October 04, 2010, 01:31:58 PM
I suspect judicious use of fine sandpaper here and there would improve whatever you consider imperfect.

Russ: Yes the components have parting marks,  an evil of my castings.

Philip

Belg

Philip, I'm sure it was tedious and finicky work but you have done a very nice job recreating the handle. Pat

JohnP

In 1:48 that is very nice casting. The handle is great, and the gear held up well. Good job sir.

John
John Palecki

Philip Smith

I appreciate the nod gentlemen! I'm kind of sidetracked on this project with some pending 1:1 headaches. It's always refreshing seeing project developing here!  (other members stuff) 

Philip  :)

Mobilgas

Aspen models ?  I like the smithy and the detail's.... are the details going to be made and sold ;D  How would someone be able to buy such items.     Craig
Craig

Philip Smith

Quote from: Mobilgas on October 27, 2010, 08:07:12 PM
Aspen models ?  I like the smithy and the detail's.... are the details going to be made and sold ;D  How would someone be able to buy such items.     Craig

yep, Aspen resincastings! The hammer handle was replaced.. a very fragile casting. No other gripes with the product.

I'm way behind on this project. Once finished it will be available from.....
www.smith-models.com
I think I just broke a forum policy.

Philip

Mobilgas

Philip,   Thanks for the info....always looking for cool new stuff in O scale ;)  Craig
Craig

marklayton

A terminology nit...a smithy is a building where the smith works.  You've all read the the Longfellow poem...

Under a spreading chestnut tree, the village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he, with large and sinewy hands...

Mark
He who dies with the most tools wins.

Philip Smith

Quote from: marklayton on December 14, 2010, 05:37:41 PM
A terminology nit...a smithy is a building where the smith works.  You've all read the the Longfellow poem...

Under a spreading chestnut tree, the village smithy stands;
The smith, a mighty man is he, with large and sinewy hands...

Mark

Indeed Mark.  Thanks for noticing the error & not marching me barefoot through the hot coals. I have a pretty good collection of blacksmith books yet may never understand the mechanics entirely.

Philip