• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

New tech and "printing" model figures?

Started by gnichols, October 25, 2010, 05:08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gnichols

Gang,
  I was wondering if anyone had tried combining laser scanning 3D objects and CAD or other programs for use with the rapid prototypeing methods used to "print" resin parts?  Or laser cutting wood or plastic parts?   Specifically, we seem to lack figures, animals, details and such in the larger, off-the-beaten-path scales, like 1:18, 1:16, 1:12, 1:8 (my reason to ask), etc.   Is it doable?  Gary

78ths

It is doable and costly. Usually the return on investment does not outway the input in time and effort. To get high resolution printed parts is very costly and most low cost 3D printed parts are dismal in quality to say the least. There is really great CNC software out there that will do 4th and more axis items in great detail if the part is large again for things like faces, fingers etc... it is still low in resolution. I think we are still a good 3 years away from the technology being more accesible and higher in quality. Reminds me of the early days of digital photography.
For CNC app check out this : http://www.vectric.com/WebSite/Vectric/cut3d/c3d_features.htm   I have the 2D version and I love it - will buy the 3D once I add a rotary table to CNC - mine is still manual

cheers Ferd
Ferd Mels  Ontario Canada    eh!
SE Scale - all other scales pale by comparison.  7/8"=1'-0"
www.78ths.com

gnichols

Only a few years out?!?!?!  That's just my speed.  Oh, well.  Thanx, Ferd.  Gary

DaKra

Pretty sure the sports collector figurine industry is using 3d scanned input for at least some of their mold making.   Next time you pass by a toy store, have a look at McFarlane figures, they are around 1/12 scale or so.  The likenesses, poses, wrinkles in the clothing are uncanny.    But as Ferd says, the technology is costly, much too costly for MRR cottage industries. 

finescalerr

Feasible or not at the moment, that was a very good question and Ferd's answer is encouraging: By the time most of us are too old to carve figures we'll be able to draw and print them instead. (But then painting will be the problem!) -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I think that digital body scanning and 3D printing will eventually be used extensively for commercially-manufactured scale figures. You could dress a person in whatever clothing is appropriate to the era, pose them as desired, scan, then print out replicas in any scale. These could then be used to make molds for mass production.

The technology is already there, it's just a matter of time before it becomes cheap enough to be practical.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

3D Scan Services show an example .. a 12" tall figure was scanned for $150 for a 3d Mesh model (.stl) down to $50 for a baseball. Shrug .. not sure what drives the price .. but am guessing it is the complexity of the object to be scanned.

Examples and prices

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Mobilgas

What's it going to be like in 50 years?? Put on a helmet or some other device on your head.... wired to a Computer..... Think of a subject you would like to have a model made of......and a machine will make what you were thinking. In what ever scale you want ;D       Whatttttttttttt did i just type that???? I need another Drink ;)    Craig   
Craig

W C Greene

It does sound like "the future"..however, when the day comes that an "artist" is considered to be the guy with the best laser resin model maker, that will be the day I will go back to rebuilding MGs and TRs. The thing that's missing in all this high tech stuff is something called soul. I guess that I'm a Luddite, but I have fun.
                               Woodie
miles to go before I sleep...

Malachi Constant

Well, as I'm fiddling around trying to sculpt an "ideal" 1/35 scale head, I'm inclined to say that doing such in the larger scales (especially 1:8) is just a matter of practice.  Have a look at the Creager sculpting videos on you-tube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xo4COOhPk3k

If you get inspired, give it a shot!  The sculpting materials (Magic Sculp or Super Sculpey) or inexpensive ... likewise, the various dental instruments that are sold for sculpting are inexpensive and fine enough for use in the larger scales.

Michael on the Gn15 forum has used this approach for his larger-scale figures:
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?p=74646
http://forum.gn15.info/viewtopic.php?t=5802

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mobilgas

Dallas,        Man this is opening up a big can of worms ??? making your own figures.......watching the you tube clip....i couldn't help thinking of the movie One Flew over the cookoo nest......pictured Jack and the loonies making stick figures with Sculpey in a therapy session ;D             Craig
Craig

Malachi Constant

Craig --

I resemble that remark ... and look forward to basket-weaving when they finally toss me into the asylum.

Meanwhile, I'll assert that figure sculpting (in a manageable size) is like any other scratchbuilding project:  study the subject ... learn the measurements and proportions ... select a suitable modeling medium ... begin shaping the material.

Now, based on my own limited experience, I'll say that doing it in G scale or smaller will be a bit tricky, because the size of the available tools vs the size of the subject becomes a significant issue.  In scales like 1/12, 1/8, etc, I'll stand by my assertion that (a) it's just a matter of practice and possibly (b) getting over any "fear" of reproducing the complex shapes associated with the human anatomy.  As a generalization, we become accustomed to modeling "mechanical" shapes which tend to be rectangular, etc. and feature "standard" curves ... so, again, it takes practice and study of the subject to accurately model complex curves.  Just like what it takes to model the nose of an F-unit or GG-1.

But ... it definitely comes down to what each of us WANTS to model or try to do, so I'll agree that it's fantastic when you can just find suitable figures that someone else has already sculpted.  Now, where's my tapioca?  Is it bingo night yet?   ;D

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Mobilgas

Dallas,    Hey go for it ... Enjoy.....got to go now the Nurse is here with my MED'S ;D        Craig
Craig

W C Greene

As I said-Dallas has got "soul" and is an artist. That's what it's all about.
                         Woodie
miles to go before I sleep...

Junior

As a newbie I don´t know if this link has been posted before......simply stunning. I was just about to pack up my stuff and say goodbye to this hobby when I got to the final pictures and realised how it´s done. Still very impressive. Business as usual - back to HOn3.http://www.vonabt.co.uk/dios/earth/index.html

Anders ;D