• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Low-tech intermission

Started by Hauk, October 25, 2010, 02:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hauk

Waiting for the next batch of parts from PAP, I have done a little old fashined schratchbuilding.
Since I model a railroad with electric engines, I need poles for my overhead wire.

The full-size ones look like this:

As I  need a bunch of poles, I wanted to build one with as little fuzz as possible, and solid enough to be usesd on a layout.
As it happened, I did not use any "model" parts, just different sizes of metal wire, strips and a length of wooden dowel. the most fancy tool was my tiny Proxxon lathe, but since I used just freehand machining wth files, you could use a electric drill instead.

It was sfun to do things rather simple for once, and I am quite happy with my first overhead pole:

All for now, Hawks.
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

artizen

What will you use for the catenary lines? A couple of modellers over here are now using EZ Line for the wiring so that accidents are reduced during operation.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Malachi Constant

Beautiful work on those fittings!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Very nice. Will you be drawing power from the overheads, or will they be for appearance only?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Hauk

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on October 25, 2010, 05:41:00 PM
Very nice. Will you be drawing power from the overheads, or will they be for appearance only?

I will use  them for appearance only, but I think I will feed power to the overhead wire just to get sparks. So the ovehead wire will be metal of some sort.

-H
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

finescalerr

I like your poles better than the originals. -- Russ

DaKra

A single pole on a display base is aethetically pleaseing, but a technical problem, if you're planning to string a wire on it!   ;) 

Seriously, I've considered this and figure I'd make a Plexi display case, dril small holes on either side, and run the wires to the holes.  Haven't tried it yet so don't know how it will look.  Might look cool, might look stupid.   

Dave

marc_reusser

Sweet little project and nice brass work. I like the simple elagance of the one pole on the display base.

A bit concerned that the texture on the pole might still be a bit "nubby" or with small fuzz bits in the grain...but I look forward to seeing it all stained and finished.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Hauk

Thanks for all the nice comments! I agree that the pole is not very carefully weathered. Its just a 5mm wood dovel roughened up with some ver coarse sandpaper and given 2 coats of silwerwood.

I am actually wondering if I should blast the whole pole assembly with my new air eraser. Two birds with one stone, preparing the metal for the blackening chemicals and aging the wood.

I also took a picture of pole and engine to getter, it is interesting to broaden the canvas so to speak, I have had a nasty tendency to focus on very small features in the overall picture. But personally I fee that the elements are adding up nicely.

By the way, would you be awfully surprised that one of my main reasons for converting from US Colorado H0n3 to ugly 0-scale boxcabs was the work of the late Bob Hegge? It suddenly struck me how much I owe the Croocked Mountain Lines for inspiration.
Regards, Hauk
--

Ray Dunakin

That pole looks even better seeing it in context with the boxcab.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Philip Smith

RoughboyModelworks

Very nice Hauk... Came across this thread http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=4976 over on the Buntbahn forum from a chap building an electric loco. His pantographs are nicely done too. You may already have seen this, but if not, check it out.

Paul

Hauk

Quote from: Roughboy on October 27, 2010, 11:09:16 PM
Very nice Hauk... Came across this thread http://www.buntbahn.de/modellbau/viewtopic.php?t=4976 over on the Buntbahn forum from a chap building an electric loco. His pantographs are nicely done too. You may already have seen this, but if not, check it out.

Paul

I have seen the start of that thread, but not looked at it for a very long time, so I have missed the pantograph part. Thanks for the reminder!

-Haavard
Regards, Hauk
--

Junior

HÃ¥vard..........another jewel! You might want to ad a "roof" (see your prototype picture) the rusty little cap that will prevent your pole from rotting, so typical here in Scandinavia. Looking forward to see the final weathering!

Anders ;D

Ken Hamilton

You call that "SIMPLE"? 

Great job, Hauk.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/