• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Low-tech intermission

Started by Hauk, October 25, 2010, 02:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

I also enjoyed Mr Hegge's articles.

Those parts look nice. How many are you going to need?

Electric RR modelers have to basically lay two sets of track. I recently bought a book on the LA Railway, and the overhead wires and supports look like dense steel netting in some of the downtown areas.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Hauk

Quote from: Chuck Doan on October 28, 2010, 03:35:11 PM
I also enjoyed Mr Hegge's articles.

Those parts look nice. How many are you going to need?

Electric RR modelers have to basically lay two sets of track. I recently bought a book on the LA Railway, and the overhead wires and supports look like dense steel netting in some of the downtown areas.

I have no idea if I ever get around to building a layout. But  I found the pole/outrigger to be surprisingly easy to build, so I don´t  think the overhead will be the main obstacle. So how many I will build, no idea.

But I know that I will try and make some form tools for the different ceramic isolators i need. I need at least 3-4 different types, and lots of them. Especially for telephone and telegraph lines. On some stretches of track the poles had a small crossarm near the top. There was two telegraph lines on the arm itself, and one directly on the top of the pole. It looked nice, and I think I will repeat it on the poles for the diorama I have under construction.

Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

finescalerr

Uh-oh! You're going to give Jacq a run for his money. Nice work so far. -- Russ

Hauk

Quote from: finescalerr on November 02, 2010, 11:47:23 AM
Uh-oh! You're going to give Jacq a run for his money. Nice work so far. -- Russ

Can´t see him shaking with fear  quite yet! But thanks for the thumbs up.
The great thing with this forum is the mix of praise & criticism, and I really hope some of the postings lately will not stop people from offering constructive criticism.

Back to the really important stuff: isolaters.
In the picture below, you can see several types on just one pole:

The question is, have anybody seen something readymade that could be used for any of those isolators? For the powerlines on top it could be plastic, but the isolators on the running lines should be metal, me thinks.

Alternatively, have anybody had success grinding their own profile tools for machining? (My little lathe is a bit underpowered to use profile tools, but I know that there will be a *big* package under the tree this year!)

Keep the comments coming, especially criticism!

Regards, Haavard
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

davej

You can make form tools quite easily with just a lathe and hand tools. First turn the 'negative' image of the form you need on a larger diameter piece of tool steel, drill a hole up the centre and part off. Then cut out a 90deg section out of your tool and make a nice cutting edge. Then harden the tool steel - this might not be needed if you are using CZ121 brass for the parts.

Then mount your form tool on a modified tool holder using the hole and turn away.

I can make some drawings to explain better if you need them.

artizen

This is probably wrong but these plastic beads could be the right shape - http://en.dawanda.com/product/5677410-50pcs-Antique-Acrylic-Flat-Oval-Beads

Or these metal beads - http://en.dawanda.com/product/12922670-15-bicones-cuivrees-5mm

Just looking. Not really sure of the diameter of the insulator so not sure what size bead you could use.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

Hauk

Quote from: davej on November 06, 2010, 04:40:16 AM
You can make form tools quite easily with just a lathe and hand tools. First turn the 'negative' image of the form you need on a larger diameter piece of tool steel, drill a hole up the centre and part off. Then cut out a 90deg section out of your tool and make a nice cutting edge. Then harden the tool steel - this might not be needed if you are using CZ121 brass for the parts.

Then mount your form tool on a modified tool holder using the hole and turn away.

I can make some drawings to explain better if you need them.

Great tip, Dave!
It also triggered my memory, I now remember that I saw an online article on turning wheel profiles using a homemade pofile tool.

You must excuse my ignorance, but how do you harden tool steel? Heat, I would presume, but up to what color, and do you quench after heating?

I also wonder if you have a source of tool steel in suitable diameters.

-Regards, Haavard
Regards, Hauk
--

Hauk

Quote from: artizen on November 06, 2010, 05:00:23 AM
This is probably wrong but these plastic beads could be the right shape - http://en.dawanda.com/product/5677410-50pcs-Antique-Acrylic-Flat-Oval-Beads

Or these metal beads - http://en.dawanda.com/product/12922670-15-bicones-cuivrees-5mm

Just looking. Not really sure of the diameter of the insulator so not sure what size bead you could use.

Cut in half, those metal beads are almost a dead ringer for the insulators on the running wire! Question is, is the bronze material possible to solder, and is it really more work to turn your own if you have to mout the beads in a lathe for cutting.

But a creative tip, indeed!
Regards, Haavard.
Regards, Hauk
--

Philip Smith

I'd suggest turning a pattern on a lathe and casting them.
Then your measurement will be exact. Those button would be easier.

Nice looking lathe haavard!

philip

Hauk

Quote from: Philip Smith on November 06, 2010, 08:34:39 AM
I'd suggest turning a pattern on a lathe and casting them.
Then your measurement will be exact. Those button would be easier.

Nice looking lathe haavard!

philip

I have conisdered casting, but with a formtool I think you could turn a bunch of them in a short time. Even castings would have to be cleaned up and centerdrilled for the mounting rod.

BTW, Here is the link to the article on turning wheels with a homemade form tool:
http://www.clag.org.uk/bill-newton1.html

Regards, Haavard
Regards, Hauk
--