• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Wall

Started by finescalerr, October 26, 2010, 05:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederic Testard

You know, Jerry, my english is far from perfect...
Frederic Testard

eTraxx

Frederick. Don't worry about it .. you are fine. If you ever get a chance, take a trip to Southern Louisiana .. about half the people down there speak French .. well .. a version of French :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

Marc, thanks for that info about bricks. I think your concept and execution are most satisfactory. You have taken an approach I have only thought about and brought it to splendid fruition.

Now a tough question: How would you deal with corners?

And, with the Strathmore clapboards, did you stain the card before painting it this time? Whatever you did looks good.

Russ

marc_reusser

Russ,

Corners should be pretty easy....I have two ideas for doing them.

The individual boards were actually painted "wet" with several colors of Vallejo acrylics, and when dry to the touch a quick drybrushing swipe along the length of the boards to add some grain highlight/pattern. (not that much of this is apparent in the small amount that is seen through the chips....but it does allow the various chips to have some slight variation in tone and shading.

The lower boards were done using the tape method...which is difficult to control (at least without taking more time with it), and the white acrylic came of in large swaths (the nature of the acrylic),and something you with artwork...and chuck with actual directional grain have been able to avoid

On the upper boards I was finally able able to find a different method of paint removal that allows for much greater control, as well as allowing me to make the chips more directional (like yours and chucks)....following the grain of the board....as they generally would on a real structure.

Marc

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

Quote from: lab-dad on November 03, 2010, 05:01:19 AM

I really enjoyed seeing Marc's bench! Would love to see an overall shot!
-Marty

Hmm...okay...here is a shot from yesterday....

M-Works

finescalerr

That is the usual state of Marc's workbench. I've been to visit several times. He is well organized and neat and puts away his toys when he has finished playing. So the photo isn't a fake. -- Russ

eTraxx

*sigh* .. I just looked. I think .. my workbench is under .. whatever .. is piled up there. I was 'organizing' and got distracted ...
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

lab-dad

No wonder you cant finish anything Marc!
Once you put it away how do you find it?.... ;D :D ;)
name withheld
:P

Don Railton

Marc – Thanks for the paper brick tutorial.  That's how Wolfson does his brick. Each one cut separately then glued in place except he uses styrene.

Your wall looked liked it had some decent 3-D.  I'll have to give it a try with paper.

Don

finescalerr

Let me know how you plan to deal with the corners. Marc didn't even offer a clue. Scale-brick-thickness paper or plastic would seem almost counterproductive. -- Russ

marc_reusser

Quote from: finescalerr on November 10, 2010, 08:07:27 PM
Let me know how you plan to deal with the corners. Marc didn't even offer a clue. Scale-brick-thickness paper or plastic would seem almost counterproductive. -- Russ

Sheesh Russ....I try to save you something in case you want that sidebar...but nooooo....you just can't leave well enough alone ;) ;D

For the corners the two simplest options are:

1). Simply cut a short piece (end brick size) and glue it into the correct location. You can get a tight enough bond, and with some liht sanding, if done correctly, after painting the seam will not be visible.

2). Make the paper piece long enough to represent the full side and end of the brick...then at the proper location on the backside, cut a V-shaped notch/groove....then simply bend the brick around the corner at that point. Though tedious....this is not hard to do, and will give a nice clean corner.  (We used to do this on full scale Strathmore models, using a professional matt cutter on which you could carefully set the depth so as to end up leaving barely 1-ply between the V cut on the back and the face.)

To make option 2 easier, you can cut the V groove first, and then cut the strip on either side to give the needed dimension. This way in case the V cut is slightly off, or it doesn't bend like you wanted....you hevent wasted the time and piece.

Marc

M-Works

finescalerr

You must understand, Marc, that I am offering you the opportunity to cobble together a rough draft of your ideas here. If they work, or even if they don't, I then shall transform your unpolished gems into beautiful examples of the Queen's English replete with spectacular photographic illustration. Thereupon I shall publish the results for all the world to admire. O lucky you!

Besides, I was curious.

I don't suppose you have, or anyone else has, a suggestion for making convincing corners with brick paper. Or do you?

Russ

marc_reusser

Hide them with stone or concrete quoins .....or there is always the old standby....the rainwater leader. ;D

M

M-Works