• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

RLF Shed

Started by eTraxx, October 28, 2010, 09:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eTraxx

Figured as bad as that roof is .. either the building has been abandoned or needs fixing .. so went for the latter. Not happy with the bucket but will do for now as a 'stand in' until I can create something better. ... still having fun. :)

Edit: That bucket of Asphalt Roof Coating has been bothering me. I am pretty sure I can make the bucket better .. but got to thinking .. WHEN .. did they come out with Cold Process roof coatings? In the "olden days" they would have used hot-tar and mopped it on. Even today the cold-coating process is I imagine mostly restricted to being used for DIY projects.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

eTraxx

Finally found a pretty good photo of a metal 5-gal can. With everything made of plastic now these are pretty scarce
Ed Traxler

Junior

Ed,

Excellent work on both the walls and the roof - will follow along with great interest. Neat idea with the labels. Any chance of letting me know where you found the labels? I´m working on a tool shed in 1/87 scale (not for the contest). Have the rolled up tarpaper done but no labels.

Anders ???

eTraxx

Quote from: Junior on November 04, 2010, 02:54:58 AM
Ed,

Excellent work on both the walls and the roof - will follow along with great interest. Neat idea with the labels. Any chance of letting me know where you found the labels? I´m working on a tool shed in 1/87 scale (not for the contest). Have the rolled up tarpaper done but no labels.

Anders ???

Anders. I created the labels in Paint Shop Pro. I made them large .. then reduced them to print. Here they are ...
Ed Traxler

Junior

Fantastic! Thanks very much Ed........will post a pic. elsewhere on this forum when I´m done. If it turns out the way I want!  ???

Anders ;D

Philip Smith

Nice progress!

Good question about tarring history. I'm sure some sort of bucket pre-dates your example. Or a huge vat on the ground...........

Philip

eTraxx

Been busy working on my On30 modules .. got back to working on my shed yesterday. Working on the wood section. Have the roof to finish and some bracing .. then some weathering. Figure as crappy as the floor is the bottom of the studs has to be in bad shape. After that can start sheathing etc. Still having fun.
Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

I like it! Especially the corroded floor boards.

One thing you might want to change is to add some rot to the beam underneath those rotted boards. As it is now, the beam is in such better condition, it looks out of place. It probably doesn't need a lot done to it, even just darkening it to match the color of the rotted floor boards would help.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

granitechops

Following with interest, this was one of the threads I was watching before I joined the forum

Ed, Just a thought about the tar roofing, whilst the original might have been done with hot tar, it depends when the "now" of the model is.
Timewise, if the repair is being done on the cheap since the  cold process started to be utilised, roll & bucket dont look out of place.

I suppose it also depends on the ownership of the building, if its still in corporate ownership in a neglected corner of an industrial complex, corporate thinking will influence type of repair.

But, if its on a lot thats been sold off to a more smaller local hard up enterprise, economy & ingenuity rules the day ;D

Edit. dont know when the cold process started but I remember using it for a garden shed in the 1960s, it may have been a cold process, but it was certainly much easier to do in the heat of summer
Don in sunny Devon, England

Malachi Constant

Ed --

The new wood-framed addition looks great ... kinda hope that isn't fixed in place yet, as it looks like you still need to finish out the opening for that big doorway in the brick part.  (Maybe I'm wrong there, but looks like it needs some trim or finishing inside that doorway as I'm seeing it here.)

Real neat project ... look forward to more of the crumbling disaster!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

eTraxx

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on November 13, 2010, 07:50:35 PM
I like it! Especially the corroded floor boards.

One thing you might want to change is to add some rot to the beam underneath those rotted boards. As it is now, the beam is in such better condition, it looks out of place. It probably doesn't need a lot done to it, even just darkening it to match the color of the rotted floor boards would help.
Ray .. good point. I have intentions to rot some of the lower portions of some of the studs but that makes even more sense.

Quote from: granitechops on November 14, 2010, 01:49:52 AM
Following with interest, this was one of the threads I was watching before I joined the forum

Ed, Just a thought about the tar roofing, whilst the original might have been done with hot tar, it depends when the "now" of the model is.
Timewise, if the repair is being done on the cheap since the  cold process started to be utilised, roll & bucket dont look out of place.

I suppose it also depends on the ownership of the building, if its still in corporate ownership in a neglected corner of an industrial complex, corporate thinking will influence type of repair.

But, if its on a lot thats been sold off to a more smaller local hard up enterprise, economy & ingenuity rules the day ;D

Edit. dont know when the cold process started but I remember using it for a garden shed in the 1960s, it may have been a cold process, but it was certainly much easier to do in the heat of summer
Don. Yep. My theory(?) is that the brick portion was once part of a larger building .. aka .. corporate. When that was built, it would have been hot tar. Seems pretty simple .. I've even ran across a video showing the process. There was a heater/oven on the ground and the melted asphalt was taken to the roof in a bucket to be spread. What is scary is that the older refrences I have found shows them using Asbestos. Check out this video I found - Application of Built Up Asbetos Roofing 1930
I agree though that as bad shape this is in .. if ANY work was done it would have been using the cold process but again .. have no idea when it stated. I can remember plugging leaks in a tin roof with roofing compound about 1966.

Quote from: Malachi Constant on November 14, 2010, 02:27:25 AM
Ed --

The new wood-framed addition looks great ... kinda hope that isn't fixed in place yet, as it looks like you still need to finish out the opening for that big doorway in the brick part.  (Maybe I'm wrong there, but looks like it needs some trim or finishing inside that doorway as I'm seeing it here.)

Real neat project ... look forward to more of the crumbling disaster!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas
You are 100% correct Dallas. Nope, not fixed at all. The wooden part is being glued but that, the base and brick portion are all separate. They were just put together for the photo. Yeah .. still have the double door, window and trim for the brick section. My idea is that this portion of the brick structure is acting as the fourth wall of the wooden part. Not really sure how in "real life" the two would have been joined - if at all .. perhaps lag bolts into the brick?
Ed Traxler

chester

It's been a very long time since I've seen them but the tar used in the hot tar process came in cardboard tubes. The cardboard was cut off and the solid piece of tar was placed in the kettle. Found this:

teejay99

Nicely thought out and modeled , Ed . I'm sure you'll do well in the RRL contest .

Terry
Wilson's Law: As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

eTraxx

Chester. Woah! I would be surprised if they still do it that way using an axe .. our nanny state would freak out if they saw that.

Terry .. I was supposed to think about it first? !!!! :)

Making progress .. trim, lintels and corrugated sheet on roof. Marc .. followed your SBS on etching the aluminum. Thanks!
Ed Traxler

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World