• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Bells on diesel locos?

Started by Ray Dunakin, October 28, 2010, 09:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ray Dunakin

I want to add a bell to my narrow gauge RS-3, similar to the one in this photo:

As you can see, it's mounted differently than on a steam loco. Can anyone tell me how these were set up -- Did the bell swing from side to side? Or was it held in place and only the clapper was moved?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

eTraxx

Ray, seems to me that if the bell is operated by a rope then it would be mounted so the bell will swing inline with the engine .. shrug .. the bell crank would (I think) require that. If the bell swings and the bell crank is driven by a solenoid then it could be in any position. Hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it but that solenoid could actually act as the clapper. Looking forward to answers by someone who actually knows rather then me .. who is just 'wondering' :)
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Ray Dunakin

There's no rope on these (those are power lines in the background on that photo). The bell is mounted cross ways on top of the hood, so if it does swing, it would be swinging sideways, which seems kind of weird to me.

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

The bell has an electric clapper. The cord in the photo is a power cord. So the bell is stationary and the clapper moves by means of a motor. -- Russ

Ray Dunakin

I finally found a good photo of a bell with an air ringer!

Ray Dunakin's World