• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Non-RR RR layouts?

Started by FichtenFoo, October 31, 2010, 12:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darrylhuffman

I haven't applied power to a layout to run trains on it in about 35 or 40 years.

I use the railroad only to bring a common scale to a scene and to make a "link" around the room.

We have all seen a short piece of an abandoned rail line as part of a layout, but I have always though about building an entire layout featuring only an abondoned railroad.

I don't do this however as I realized my tastes in the hobby have changed over the decades and I might get interested in operation at some point.

Although time is running out on that option.

My lovely bride of over 40 years likes me to build dioramas to display in our bookshelves in the living room.

In our last home, she wanted a layout in our living room.

Here is a link to that layout:

http://www.darrylhuffman.50megs.com/custom4.html

Darryl Huffman
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: 78ths on November 01, 2010, 04:34:35 AM
Nothing like a massage and spa treatment to please the modelers soul  ;D

A shot of good whisky helps too...  ;)

Paul

JohnP

Hey c'mon guys no extraneous talking during operating sessions or you can't come back next Tuesday night! And don't make fun of index cards that say what the the industry name is either, no time to build, gotta knock down the wall into the bedroom for the east staging yard.  ;D

Of course it is all a matter of taste. But dioramas are a way to enjoy a sense of completion, set a model in context and try new ideas like scales, eras, genres, seasons, locals. Plus you can take them outside for photos and for showings. And you can build it in a small place like an apartment or even vehicle.

Layouts and whiskey aren't bad though, although the combo was tough on my little Ruby steamer outdoors last weekend. Rule G violations can be dangerous!

John
John Palecki

RoughboyModelworks

Quote from: JohnP on November 02, 2010, 09:58:38 AM
Hey c'mon guys no extraneous talking during operating sessions or you can't come back next Tuesday night! And don't make fun of index cards that say what the the industry name is either, no time to build, gotta knock down the wall into the bedroom for the east staging yard.  ;D

That's right... read the rule book. This is serious business afterall, though I must admit there is something rather amusing about watching a group of adults operating trains wearing radio headsets to communicate with the person standing next to them and the dispatcher who is just around the corner in the next room. I'm not ashamed to admit that I've done this, it can be fun, especially with the proper lubrication. Unfortunately however, I was often censored as my communications, surprisingly enough, were occasionally tinged with a touch of sarcasm and irreverence... and evidently you just can't run a railroad with that sort of misbehavior...  ;)

Paul

Philip Smith

I'm without a layout and find this discussion very entertaining. My old layout was happy heading the Shay up the switchbacks hauling logs all day. A steampunk section would be thought provocating on a layout. I'm kind of old school, so just a hint of SP madness.  Someone had mentioned a dock scene with the FF fish drydocked, then oddly the imagineering veered in another direction.  (which is OK) I may pursue this myself.....

This is what makes this forum unique and unlike the other cut and dryed antler R/R sites.

Philip 

MinerFortyNiner

Paul, you're obviously not a serious modeler...   :P

I fell into a trap (at least for one of my slightly schizophrenic bent) to model prototypes with historical accuracy.  While the research was fun at first, it became a noose around my neck.  We all like to find our own balance, and while I like to play with my trains, I want to do it my way.  I respect those who like operating rules and switch lists, but shoot, I just have a little sleepy copper mining railroad in the desert.  Any day you can tie up your Porter after avoiding serious collisions and death, and get a cold brew at the cantina, is a good day...

I have to confess I am considering a fantasy-inspired module as an alter-ego to my semi-prototypical model railroad...to provide occasional diversion from flanged wheels, so to speak.
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."

darrylhuffman

One of my many projects when I was heavily into logging was to build a non-working diorama of a logging railroad and it's equipment being auctioned off.

All the skidders and other equipment had been brought into the area of the machine shop/engine house.

A parking lot of cars which bidders drove to the auction.  Lots of trucks to haul off purchases.

An auctioneer with his crew and the bidders of course.

A mobile snack bar had to be included along with signs announcing the sale.

My family was in the auction business for decades and my house has always been filled with furniture and junk we call "early auction".

The inspiration for the diorama was photos of the auctioning off of equipment for the San Joaquin and Eastern Railroad.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Chuck Doan

My layout is based on a RR that was planned but never built. I am following the prototype faithfully.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

teejay99

I suppose my steel mill layout ( not complete ) somewhat qualifies , atleast  in the direction of sci-fi or Mad Max style . The mid 50's steel mills were fire and smoke belching monsters with blast furnaces , open hearth furnaces , rolling mills and other monstrous structures that dwarfed both man and trains . I have no idea how the workers existed before "silvers" ....the silver coloured protective clothing . I think life expectancy was rather short , even if you did avoid burns , due to the smoke and gas inhilation  . Rolling stock within the mill was a conglomeration of different parts , wheels and trucks slapped together , welded and rewelded , just to keep going . Locos had to have "safety cars " between tham and the hot metal cars they were pushing . It must have been a whole different world within the steel mill complex and , I have no idea why , but it fascinates the hell out of me .

Terry
Wilson's Law: As soon as you find a product that you really like, they will stop making it.

darrylhuffman

Chuck,

What a great line.

I trust that it is OK if I steal it as long as I give you credit.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com

Philip Smith

Quote from: darrylhuffman on November 12, 2010, 10:08:41 AM
Chuck,

What a great line.

I trust that it is OK if I steal it as long as I give you credit.

;D priceless chuck!