• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Porch Trim in HO scale.

Started by DaKra, November 09, 2010, 05:35:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaKra

Something I've been working on a while.   Always liked the looks of decorative carpentry in 1/1 scale, the HO scale selection was very limited and not what I wanted, so I made my own.  Will offer an assortment online shortly, meanwhile I'll have the parts sets available at CSS this week.         

For Russ, its made of a sort of paper!  :)       

Dave

lab-dad

Very nice!
Seems like a natural item for you.
-Marty

JohnP

Don't forget folks this is 1:87.1. We look at all sorts of larger scale stuff on the forum but not much HO. This is not Burn 'n Box like so many others sell these days. This is art.

Dave sent me a couple of color photos of this model recently. I put one up as my work computer desktop. Various co-workers, men and women, asked me if it was my house and what a nice home it is. I had to tell them it's a model that can fit in your hand.

Dave, how about something in the photo for scale?

John
John Palecki

DaKra

Ray Dunakin

Holy moly, that is one sweet model! The trim is a great detail and the whole thing is very well done!

I like the lawn and shrubs too. Nice to see grass that isn't bright green.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Chuck Doan

Very nice detail! Does your laser ever get to cool down?
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

gin sot

Lasercutting is a natural fit for gingerbread trim.

Is the house itself scratchbuilt, or is it something VectorCut will be releasing?  It looks very relevant to my interests, I might even sell some plasma.

(But it'd be a lot cooler if that gable window was a funky shape-- I'm thinking hexagonal-- and maybe one of the rooflines could have an asymmetrical angle and some extra vents and chimneys to add some interest (just stick 'em anywhere, there's a prototype for everything, y'know), an open window with curtains hanging out is always a hit, and would it kill ya to add nail holes and broken siding, and some bird poop on the roof?)

finescalerr

The house kit and separate packages of trim would make excellent products in several scales. -- Russ

BKLN

Dave, I don't know where you find a prototype like that...  You must think we are stupid.
A house like that should have some weathered wood and a watertower. A little covered stairwell on the side would be neat, too.
;D :-X

DaKra

I guess Walther's has some 'splainin' to do!

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3601

Because that's what I used, I just fixed it up some.    No oil barrels or spare tires in the box either  :-\   

But wait 'till I get that three-speed motorized pounce wheel for Christmas.    ;D

Dave

Mobilgas

Dave,   I'm impressed you took a Walthers plastic model and turned it into a jewel  ;)  Craig
Craig

gin sot

It's pretty rare that I fail to recognize a mass-market plastic kit, even a well-assembled one-- I blame the awesome porch trim.  Well done, sir.

Frederic Testard

I love the delicacy of your work, Dave. You always seem to push a little farther the limits of what can be done believably in HO scale.
Frederic Testard

gin sot

I don't know about the feasibility of laser cutting styrene sheet, but if its workable, you could glue the trim on with regular liquid cement.  No weak, potentially messy white glue bonds!  No disappointment when the last bottle of CA on hand is dry and frosted!

DaKra

Styrene will laser cut but not to the degree of precision and sharpness I need.  The material I use for details like this is a .0145" thick resin impregnated cardstock, its actually much stronger than styrene of the same thickness.  Takes paint very nicely and glues really well with CA, the glue is absorbed a little, so smears disappear.  Proving once again, Russ's point about the versatility of paper!   :)

Dave