• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ring in Purple Heart & Silver... past weekend's work

Started by RoughboyModelworks, November 10, 2010, 11:28:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RoughboyModelworks

Well, it's not a model but I spent the past weekend making this ring for my wife for our anniversary. A fun project though certainly challenging to produce, it's made from Purple Heart and Silver. Since purple is her favourite colour, Purple Heart was the obvious choice in addition to it being very hard and dense, actually difficult to machine. A few setbacks along the way generated some trenchant and colourful commentary at the bench. Ring is wrapped in 26 gauge Argentium silver wire which also performs a structural function, reinforcing the wood band. The 24 pins, representing the 24 hours in the day are 21 gauge silver.

Paul

finescalerr

So on top of everything else you have the skills of a jeweler? -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

chester

Beautiful Paul. I've had the opportunity to work with purpleheart several times and found it always was a challenge. It does not take to wood glues very well and the grain is so tight that your tools must be super sharp. It takes a real talent to get the results shown, bravo.

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful, and very cool!

Congrats on your anniversary. How many years is it?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

MinerFortyNiner

Outstanding workmanship, Paul.

BAD news, the wife saw it, now she's wondering when I am going to make a ring for her...thanks a lot, man!   :P
- Verne Niner
  "Better to light a candle than curse the darkness..."

Philip Smith

Happy Anniversary to you all. She's one lucky gal!

Philip

RoughboyModelworks

Thanks guys... she loves it and that is the main thing of course. We've been together for eleven years and married for two. I believe I'm the lucky one Philip as she's my best friend too and fully supportive of all my eccentricities, obsessions and general curmudgeonly behavior, much to the amusement of my father who believes she deserves an award... ;D

You're welcome Verne...

Chester, yes it is a difficult wood to work with and your cutting tools have to be perfectly sharp to get a quality result. Grain structure is part of the problem. It has a tendency to be conflicting, so you can be cutting with the grain one minute and against the next on the same surface... challenging to say the least. It can also be brittle so takes great care in working, especially with a small cross section. One of the problems I had with this was boring the finger hole as it dulled my boring bar almost immediately then broke it. I ended up finishing the boring by hand with gravers... very delicate work.

Paul

marc_reusser

I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Mobilgas

Very nice Paul ;D       Happy Anniversary          Craig       
Craig