• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Packing Shed

Started by granitechops, November 16, 2010, 02:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

The card ventilation sheets were clamped together about 30 at a time & drilled with a sharp suitable drill.
a lot quicker than using a plier punch & doing 20 holes individually per sheet in about 60 sheets.
clamped together, & holding the top sheet down close to the drill with a pair fine nose pliers gives clean cut holes

work bench top starting to take shape
design,
heavy duty top, on removable trestles, make full use of fork lift!
for flexible use of work space during harvest / non harvest periods
Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

When I redrew the apple boxes, & removed the black lines, I decided that if I also did it to the printing on the pallet loads it would have no definition of separate boxes, so left the lines on there but wrapped the pallets with cling film, as in real life, whitch softens the look a bit

finescalerr

The scene is satisfactory. -- Russ

granitechops

There's a long way to go yet!!
the mortar joins in the wall were bugging me
sorta overstated . 

So

apply coat of slurpy mix acrylic/pva/fine sand/ water, to smooth edges of stones, found sand not fine enough, so lightly sand down with green emery sponge 180- 200 grade?? 
& give 2 coats of acrylic, looks better, but still wet when took pic, see what the morning brings then out with the colours

granitechops

First colour applied, a slighty diluted acrylic, burnt sienna by Royal & Langnickel
dabbed on with a stiff brush & wiped on with a very fine weave cotton cloth

granitechops

second colour, an ivory acrylic, different make, name elludes me, bit more diluted to give a finer speckly finish eventually

granitechops

This is the stone work that I used as a reference, I think its called pink granite, red tones are accentuated in different lighting conditions,

granitechops

I want to slightly empasise the red aspect a bit, but not 'spot' red as here 

granitechops

But a bit stonger than here
these are all the same building, built  about 1860

Ray Dunakin

Quote from: granitechops on November 24, 2010, 01:57:55 AM
second colour, an ivory acrylic, different make, name elludes me, bit more diluted to give a finer speckly finish eventually

This is looking pretty good to me!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

granitechops

next tone down the white a bit, using a coarse cloth well dipped in water
( after allowing paint to dry 12 hours in a dry warm 22C atmosphere)

granitechops

Then apply carefully some light gray  in the mortar lines to cover any white & red that strayed

granitechops

Now I am not trying to copy the colouring on the school wall,
but standing back a bit, this is still too red, so I think I will go for an application of light gray in the same way as I did the ivory, which came out in a way that surprised me, in its random speckliness

granitechops

Gray added at 50- 50 water - acrylic

still looks too red to me & I think needs variety in the colouring
too many stones the same
plus it could do with a black/ brown  wash

granitechops

gave a few stones a grey colour, needs the wash next