• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Packing Shed

Started by granitechops, November 16, 2010, 02:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

Been playing with rainwater down pipes, not got it right, too fragile, think it needs reinforcing on the joints on the inside so it dont show,  and I think the bottom elbow angle is too square, needs to be a bit more sloping
Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

wash applied, think thats as far as I can go with the outside walls, colour is as I want it, dont like the sand particles still showing up, but too late for that now will know better next time.
I think that when I previously used sand I used a very fine mesh sieve.  but couldnt find it this time.

finescalerr

It really has come a long way (night and day!) and looks pretty darned good.

If the reddish coloration is as strong in person as in the photo (with its overall amber color balance), perhaps you could devise a way to tone it down slightly. Even if you can't, it's just a matter of my personal preference; we probably could find several examples of stones of the same color as yours.

Either way, at this point, the wall still has a very homogeneous overall appearance so it's time to apply some subtle weathering to "wake it up". I think, when you do that, you will have achieved a minor modeling miracle.

Russ

granitechops

Thanks Russ, probably the lighting where I am working is poor, the room faces due south, so I get either full strong sunlight, or when overcast the room light is an energy saver that I dont like. And the secondary source of light, tungsten is fixed underneath a shelf  & is not very flexible as to adjustment of angle, must fix the anglepoise :-[
The pic I took after I did some random stones with gray, before I did the washes, made it look to me like a chess board.
there is in close up however quite a bit of difference in the individual colouration,
I might try a few aplications of stipple with different colours like I did with the ivory in reply 20, but instead of blanket application I may try a few stones at random & with diff tones

artizen

That cruel enlargement actually looks quite realistic!
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

Yeah, it does.

To my eye, the wall needs a general blending application to bring everything together. Some of the guys probably could suggest a really good way to do that. Typically one would use some kind of wash, an overspray of some dilute color, an overall dusting with weathering powders, or something more arcane. If it were my model, I'd wait until some of the Masters chime in before messing with it. -- Russ

granitechops

What I had forgotten was that as this building was so big, to save on weight, I had cut out holes in the floor, The first one on the left near the door intending to be an inspection pit for rolling stock/engines

granitechops

As a consequense of this I had made the floor, & back right hand side wall to be removable

granitechops

So now I have two choices, either build up the packing shed interior, on here, the original insert,

Or

Or build a new interior so they are interchangable

( sorry about the poser, he's just had his leg reset in plaster ) :'(  ;D

Edit;-   actually I should finish this first insert, those grey pillars were supposed to originally be for supporting powerline pedestals for overhead pulley feeds to machinery, and as I now have obtained a mamod workshop base at a carboot sale for a song, I could actually finish it!! ;D :D

granitechops

Just noticed on this end wall, I think I used a much weaker wash, & the pigments seem to have run down the wall & collected on the plinth top & dried there without leaving run marks

granitechops

So here's the new insert floor & short back wall that will be hidden under the new benching,
photoed outside the building

granitechops

Insert placed inside, Playing with boxes while waiting for glue to dry.
Slate floor slabs need texture & dirt, a different floor insert will be made to replace the track shown there.
There are plans for an 'artistic' display on the back wall, the owners collection of old apple box ends with their artwork"! ;D

granitechops

Been working on the bench tops

granitechops

and the slate floor, needs more stains & clutter but have got a nice texture using a wash of acrylic, powder filler & water,

granitechops

The tyre marks are almost realistic, the fork lift tyres are a hard plastic, so wont squash down & give a full width tyre track as in real life :D