• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Packing Shed

Started by granitechops, November 16, 2010, 02:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

Through the doorway,
the floor slabs are scale 3ft x 2ft pieces of Kellogs cornflake packets guillotined to size
Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

Doors closed for the night,  hometime. ;D

finescalerr

Looking better and better. And the coloration, in natural light, appears to be darned good. -- Russ

granitechops

Thanks Russ

the guy in charge of the shed has a soft spot for old apple box adverts, but as the boxes took up too much room, he has just kept one end of each,& put battens on the end wall & banged a nail through each to keep them in place

Frederic Testard

I love your last shots, Don (not that I didn't with the previous ones...).
Frederic Testard

granitechops

Thanks Frederic,

I am having trouble finding artwork for appleboxes (old Wooden ones) on the internet, there's loads of pics of american boxes.
but I dont seem to be able to find pics of ones I remember from 50 yrs ago here in the UK
anyone any ideas?

granitechops

The end picture wall insert is meant to be removable, so it is a piece of thin card, given a coat of ivory acrylic same as main wall behind , but with the addition of some PVA white to seal & strengthen it, the battens to mount the box ends on are strips cut with a craft knife from a veg crates side of 2mm thick wood, the box ends( 1.5 mm ply) are glued to the battens & each other with PVA for greater structural strength, when dry each end was drilled .8mm & a dressmakers pin inserted & cut off size from the back, would have liked something with a more in keeping look than the brass type pin heads, but being impecunious I used what I had to hand

Junior

Amazing idea with the box ends. Everything else looks great too!

Anders ;D

granitechops

You can actually buy fruitbox artwork, framed in copper on the net, singly, for about $45-$85!!!

chester

Nice shots so far, impressive work Don.
Here are a few fruit crate labels I have. Sorry, all from the U.S.

http://s191.photobucket.com/albums/z79/chesterf/Advertisements/

Frederic Testard

It is strange, Chester. My browser displays images from all your albums except this one.
Frederic Testard

granitechops

been playing with thin wood to make some different apple boxes

one with a split corner
one with a split side

granitechops

One thats weathered gray with age
then tried a proper orange box, but got it wrong, made it TOOOO long, & I think the slats should have gaps between for ventilation, which apple boxes dont seem to have

granitechops

Then I realised as pva glue seals the wood surface, stain wont take where it escapes onto the wood surface.
So, decided it would be logical to stain the wood before assembly,
whilst doing it  just tried the wash brush on some card. Got an unexpected result as the card had obviously got cracked, but was not visible until the wash highlighted it, Thought it would make a good method of making a realistic crack in an old plaster wall if done appropriately
What do you think

Think it might have possibilities for printing wall paper pattern straight onto the card then fold the card till it cracks, then highlight with a wash to bring out the crack

My wife however has other ideas, she says it lookls like a crack in  tarmac

NORCALLOGGER

Don,
I have been following your thread with interest as I remember packing sheds from my childhood.

This probably has no bearing on your project but the apple boxes we used (we had 2 different kinds) were different then what your showing.
One type was similar to yours, and we called them "cannnery boxes", they had 1/2 or 3/4 inch air gaps between the boards on the bottom and sides with a cleat nailed on the top ends that extended inward about an inch.

The other type box was called a "field lug"and was used for the graded eating apples it was the same length as the cannery box but wider and shallower, only two layers of apples deep.  This box also had the lugs on the ends.

For winter storage of the boxes they were stacked as follows;
The Cannery Boxes
One box placed on the floor, one box stood on end inside it and one box turned upside down over it making a compact bundle of 3 boxes.  These bundles were then stored in very big stacks.

The Field Lugs.
These were stacked similar but 2 lugs were placed on end in the middle with the openings facing each other.

Of course before all this stacking was done all the boxes had to be checked and bad boards replaced and nails tightened or added. The old well house was stacked full of "box Shook" kept on hand for repairs.

At least that is how it was done by us 50+ years ago in the Apple Country north of San Francisco.

Great project you have going thanks for sharing it with us.
Rick