• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Packing Shed

Started by granitechops, November 16, 2010, 02:37:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

The figures were found in a cheapo barn, they were 6 in an acrylic tube for £2.99
so for 50p each I got a 1/12th scale paratrooper in camouflage, all jointed like action men figs but smaller, some like this one I have left so they can be posed in different positions.
When repainted they look like they are wearing workmens boiler suits

Some I have filled the joints with milliput to  make them more realistic
Don in sunny Devon, England

granitechops

mock up floor & support to see if it will work out in practice

granitechops

Headroom clearance plausible

granitechops

Make a start on floor deck, decided to try plywood, but instead of just scoring the surface, ripped into strips & positioned so as to alter grain flow,  supported by joists ripped out of a cupboard shelf on my saw table.
Not sure if I like it or not,

granitechops

Used an old blunt scriber to do the nail holes

granitechops

Deck mounted on RSJ supported by pole column with wood pad to avoid steel  spitting pole ( grain across RSJ)
other end pocketed into wall ( thats not the correct term. But cant remember the correct expression)
Newel posts made & fixed
support column tied into rest of structure with strip wood that will be the base for another bench/shelf
window frames started.

granitechops

Sam doing a try out, now the hand rails are fitted
need to decide on either just hand rails around the floor area or box it in with glazed partions
may go back to the windows while I think about it

finescalerr

Coming along nicely. -- Russ

Philip Smith

NICE evenly spaced job cutting the steps in! That had to be a pain!?

Philip

granitechops

Did a wash on the floorboards, dont really like this type wood grain, too pronounced,

granitechops

To support the back RSJ that holds up the floor, I cut a hole in the false wall to fix a bracket to a stub of RSJ  fixed into the wall, bit brace & belt,

cemented a flat bit in behind to ensure a good firm anchor ( no pulling out through wall)

granitechops

Filled hole with green putty
& gave a coat of acrylic red oxide

granitechops

Supports in place,
love the early morning light coming in on that back beam

Edit;- oops floating stairs, need to skim a thought off the front support column

granitechops

Knew I saved this for a good reason, salvaged from an ornamental figurine that got dropped on the floor.
Is it worth hiding or removing that "Q" word?
Yep, screw head need invisiblising

granitechops

Temporary junk repository