• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sovereign of the seas 1637/ 1:96/ scratch build

Started by DORIS, November 17, 2010, 01:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DORIS

Hello dear friends!
Thank you very much for your praise to my work, it's a great honor for me.
I am very sorry, I didnĀ“t add here anything new for a long time , but I still have problems with my health. I am glad that I managed to finish SoS and now you can have a look at photos of the progress and finished model.
Kind regards
Doris

Here you can see finished details around the cannons. SoS also has a new and improved base and several other decorations.

Upper deck

Quarter-deck

Half-deck

Forecastle

DORIS

DORIS

DORIS

Masts and standing rigging - second part:

DORIS

All masts are finished now. Sovereign is almost 100cm tall. I took some photos during making another flag, so you can have a look at my technology.

How I made the flags for Sovereign?
I used a very thin natural cloth (for example from hanky) which I dyed by Tamiya colours ( I use water-thinned colours).
The shaping of the flag is done with a warm air during paint drying -  ideal is a hair dryer.
Image is made out of paper - printed on an inkjet printer on matte photo paper. After printing the image is first oversprayed by clear varnish (I use acrylic spray by Motip) and then it is necessary to reduce thickness of the paper. I separate the lower layer of photo paper by a sharp knife or by spiky tweezers. After cut out  the image goes to the flag and itĀ“s gently colored to achieve more realistic appearance. Finally the flag is locally dyed by a hardener and the flag shape is improved again by using a hairdryer.

Here are some pics of making another flag for Sovereign:
Printed picture on photo paper was oversprayed with Clear varnish (Motip)

I used a very fine cloth and dyed it with water-based paints from Tamiya + hardener.

After applying the last colour layer I began to shape the flag using hot air to achieve the wavy shape.
The lower layer of photo paper was separated using spiky tweezers to reach the thinnest painted/printed layer as possible.
Each paper part is modified this way. Then it is placed on the flag and itĀ“s shaped immediately before the glue dries.

Done:

DORIS

Some decorations and sculptures were improved or made again and replaced original ones.

Jednorožec na bočnici galionu taky proÅ”el změnou:

Finally, it was made the last and biggest anchor:

Stand rigging and yards:

DORIS

DORIS

DORIS

Sovereign of the seas together with me  ;)

Here is my presentation of Sovereign of the seas, so you can enjoy it. Music is my own, I like playing the piano as well as building models. This is my present for you all:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahLEt9RLbFs&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0crJWnh0nRA&feature=youtu.be

Kind regards
Doris

Gordon Ferguson

Fablous work Doris.

The amount of detail you have built into this model is outstanding ................ and the figures you have made and incorporated into to it really do bring it to life and give a sense of scale to the whole piece.

I have visited many Maritime Museums around the world and seldom have I seen work of your quality ................... thank you for sharing it with us , I look forward to seeing your next project and I trust that you remain well and healthy. 
Gordon

Hauk

Fantastic.
Thanks a lot for sharing!
Hope to see you back with a new project, but how can you possible top something like this?
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past