• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sovereign of the seas 1637/ 1:96/ scratch build

Started by DORIS, November 17, 2010, 01:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DORIS

For gilded figures and decorations I sometimes use paper, but very often make them from special modeling clay called "Modelit" or " Modurit" in our country. It is cured by baking or boiling. I will explain it more when I make decoration for this model.
The work continues in a bow construction. I have a very friendly parrot, which is all the time with me and sometimes helps me to recycle unneeded paper parts.....  ;D

DORIS

The bow and decks are almost finished and now I´ll go on stern galleries. I would like to finish the hull before winter and then I will start with decoration and plenty of gilded figures. I think, this will be the most impressive part of the build.

DORIS

First photos of stern galleries:

The ship is now illuminated by 6 white-yellowish LED diodes. The light color will be a bit improved to be more reliable. I use for this transparent colours - orange or yellow to imitate oil lamp colour.

finescalerr

Acrylic automotive varnish (or lacquer)! So that is the secret! I have built my basic walls from styrene or thick Strathmore cardstock but braced them with a lot of styrene, also resulting in a very heavy model. Here is an example of a boxcar that looks light but weighs a lot. Most of the modelers here already have seen it: http://www.finescalerr.com/smf/index.php?topic=238.0. It is an embarrassing and feeble attempt in comparison to your ships. -- Russ

finescalerr

The parrot does not look as real as the ship.  ;)   -- ssuR

BKLN

Thank for sharing your technique to harden the paper. I have tried a few things, mostly thinned white glue, which works fine too. But is very easy to loose details with that. Your approach makes a lot more sense.

Ray Dunakin

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing your modeling process. I'm wondering about the simulated wood "foil". Is it something made specifically for modelers, or is it something you have adapted to your needs?

BTW, I also enjoyed seeing your little feathered assistant!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

DORIS

Thank you very much for your comments and commendations!
finescalerr: Wow, great models. That´s excellent work, I like it very much. Thank you for sharing the photos, I enjoyed them a lot. It is something new for me because I build models in a different way.
BKLN: That´s a good approach, I use it too in many model parts.
Ray Dunakin:  About the self-adhesive foils: Application possibilities are varied. I have to say, that this material is without problem with its durability and it doesn´t change after a very long time at all. It is currently used for example for full overlapping of car´s body. You can renovate doors or furniture  in your house etc. I use it many years and have wide experience. I used it also in exterior – we have more than 11 years old foil covering of garage gate and doors in our house and it looks still like new. Besides, I used it in our car´s interior and in engine bay about 10 years ago and it´s also like new, though there are really very hard conditions.
Here you can see it:
http://www.mazdaclub.cz/article_detail.php?id=12

So I decided to use this material on my models and I am sure it keeps without change for a very long time. I have experience that these plastic tapes keep essentially longer than paint.
Using painted paper tapes is possible too, but the effect won´t be the same quality. You can adapt these plastic tapes, stretch them and there is a typical wooden structure. I like this material very much.
See some paterns here:
http://www.papirove-modely.cz/galerie/index.php?showimage=79713
Doris

eTraxx

I was looking at the link to the 'foil' that Doris gave .. and found some close-ups of her work. Doris .. you are too much! Ha.

Some little "I donno what" but they are tiny. That coin is a 1 CZK .. and is 20mm in dia. .. slightly *smaller* then a Nickle!

A lamp .. sheesh! That's INSANE! (In a good way. Probably why Doris fits in this forum so well!)

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Rusty Stumps

Doris, I'm totally speachless. That is the most fantastic work I've seen in modeling and there are some really top notch people out there. You are right up there with the best of them. Keep up the fantastic work and keep posting pictures.

Walt
Rusty Stumps Scale Models
Walt

Belg

Guys, after looking at the "foils" that Doris mentioned I'm thinking it looks like shelf liner paper?? Does that make sense or is it real wood veneer with adhesive backing?

Great how to Doris looking forward to seeing it all come together. Pat

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

DORIS

Thank you all for your comments, I am very honored!
I use similar products as Ray Dunakin wrote above. There are self-adhesice vinyls or plastic foils in various patterns and colours.
Like these:
http://www.s-tap.cz/index.php?nid=4453&lid=CZ&oid=1774740
http://www.tapety-folie.cz/friedola-nemecko/m-1753/
eTraxx: The tiny dark parts on the picture were used for roofing on side galleries of Victory stern.

And the lamp – it was placed on main mast.

DORIS

The work on Sovereign continues in stern cabins. There are many details, furniture, decorations and for example chessboard or sandglasses. Everything in 1/96 scale of course.
I overlaid the bulkhead with embedded LED diodes by self-adhesive foils and wooden skewers:

And now with lighting and finished lamps:

DORIS

The light in the cabins will be regulated, of course. The intensity can be controlled by potentiometer which will be embedded in the base. The colour of LED diodes will be also adapted - I use for this transparent colours.

Here are some photos with changes:

And other pictures from the progress: