• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Sovereign of the seas 1637/ 1:96/ scratch build

Started by DORIS, November 17, 2010, 01:06:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DORIS

Hello everybody and all the best in New Year 2011!
Thank you heartily for the praise, I appreciate it a lot. I like building models but there are still a lot of things in my work that need improvement.

And now what´s new on Sovereign of the seas. I continue to make various decorations, at this time there are more than 500 gilded elements, reliefs and figures on the hull, I also made lanterns and first larger sculptural group on the stern.

How I create small figures:

The hull decoration:

And others:

DORIS

DORIS

DORIS

Roofs above galleries and other lanterns:

Finished lanterns:

jim s-w

Great stuff Doris

Sorry if I have missed this but what are your sculptures made from?

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

finescalerr

Oh, that's so easy anybody could do it. -- ssuR

Ray Dunakin

Simply beautiful! The sculpting of the figures is very well done.

It's amazing to me that they decorated these old warships so ornately.

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Frederic Testard

Doris, your work is sublime! These sculptures are so beautiful.
Frederic Testard

Junior

DORIS

Hello dear friends!
Thank you very much for your words, I am very honored and appreciate your compliments a lot!
About the material that I use for shaping decorations - in our country it is called "Modurit or Modelit", but friends from the USA told me, that they call it "Sculpey".

I continue making the guns, there are 12 completed cannons on main board and now i am working on other boards and walls inside of the hull.
Paper cannons:

finescalerr

Chuck Doan

What a shame to have had to take a beautiful ship like that into battle.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

DORIS

Hello everybody!
The work continues with decorations on the stern, belfry, beam and some details on main board and all doors in bulkheads are finished.
Here are some pics of actual view of the Sos:

Other photos:

DORIS

Stern decoration:

Now I am working  on decorations of stern galleries, there are a lot of very small sculptures, so the work continues slowly.

DORIS

I finished the decoration on the starboard gallery, I also improved a few details on the stern (for example, the middle piece of the roof under the great sculptural group). Here are some pictures from the process of forming two figures that will be placed on the roof above the gallery. I still use modeling clay. Details on sculptures have deeper engraving for the elimination of embedding during painting by golden leaf/color . After baking the scupltures are improved and cleaned by grinding, fine - emery paper is suitable.

Other photos: