• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Request -- fan belt sleeves / art (automobilia)

Started by Malachi Constant, November 19, 2010, 09:09:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malachi Constant

Okay, here's one for Craig & the automobilia collectors, etc ...

Looking for photos of old cardstock sleeves used for fan belts (one sample in photo below) ...

If y'all have specific photos or specific web sites, please let me know ...

Advanced searches for "fan belts" and "vintage fan belts" etc. turn up a lot of fancy women's belts with fan-shaped buckles!   :-\

Plan to print the graphics to dress up the Vector Cut parts that will go up in the shop ... hopefully soon.

Thanks in advance!
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

eTraxx

Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Malachi Constant

Thanks Ed -- Found those & some others at odd angles and with glare on the art ... hoping to find some more straight-on shots like the Gates one that I posted.  I can do some simple artwork clean-up, change numbers, etc ... but looking for some variety (if available) ... otherwise will just do the clean-up on the Gates package if I can't find something better.  And, I'm doing my station with a Sinclair affiliation, so plan to avoid other "gas station" brands.

Should also add that ideal time frame is early 1940s.

Thanks!
Dallas

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

BKLN

I just created some fan belt sleeve art for DaKra. (branded VectorCut of course) I found a lot of them on Ebay. Maybe Dave will include them as a bonus.  ;D

BKLN

Obviously they are completely fictional, but I think they have a nice old feel to them. I didn't spend too much time on them because Dave and I both work in 1/87 and these things are just a little to delicate for that scale. But since I helped him with the actual files for the car junk I got carried away.

Malachi Constant

Thanks!  Will have to play around to see what looks good on the 1/35 stuff ... the 1/87 labels are drawn large enough that those might work ... and Mr. Mudgeon might even like the "Anger" brand!  ;D

Of course ... any additional ones will be appreciated ... have a few days (at least) before I actually get into doing the labels.

Cheers,
Dallas

Mobilgas

Dallas,   Here's the only 2 pic's i have on fan belts with sleeves.....I'm having trouble dating them?? i didn't put no info in the pictures >:(  I have some Super Service Station Mag's and others from the 1930's & some from the 40's i believe if i get time ill look through the mags for Ad's on fan belt companys ;)   Craig
Craig

Malachi Constant

Thanks Craig!  And since there are other folks who'll be decking out Vector Cut sets, I'm sure that any/all future additions will be useful.  Cheers, Dallas

Malachi Constant

Well, I certainly don't envy anyone labeling these little belts in HO scale.  In 1/35, the label area is about 1x2mm -- so even there, almost any printing that fits pretty much disappears.  After making that realization, and deciding not to fight it too hard, I decided to take the easy way out and make the "legible" writing on a display board as shown in the garage thread and in sample photo below ... then made fairly simple belt labels with matching colors.  I actually put about 8 different "stock" numbers on various labels ... but no one will ever notice that, cuz the type is fuzzy inkjet print at that size (less than 1 printer's point).  Oh well.

Fan belt poster:  Must be a few other sorts out there, but stumbled on the one below while doing the search.

Kudos to Dave / Vector Cut for making the set of belts to include slightly different shapes and sizes.  While my stock numbers aren't at all legible, the "difference" in various belts on the board stands out nicely and makes it much more interesting.

Thanks again for the responses to this thread ... gave me some ideas ... and should provide inspiration to the rest of the guys doing Vector Cut sets!  ;D

Cheers,
Dallas

finescalerr

Is there anything that VectorCut doesn't do well? -- Russ

BKLN

Actually, Dave is kind of clumsy. He is just good pushing buttons on the laser.

(Damn, Russ. -The constant irony and sarcasm in this place is infectious.)

DaKra

I'm proof there is something to the million monkies/million typewriters theory.   I keep hammering away, keep the good pieces and toss out anything that looks like a monkey made it.  I actually outsourced the fan belt drawings, because organic shapes are kind of difficult and I have a professional artist friend who does dirty work solves problems.               

Dave