• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ranger Crackle Paints

Started by Junior, November 19, 2010, 09:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the pic, Gil, I was curious what the green paint looked like.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

Pretty "exorcist" like!  :o Or pea soup,color it's really hard to give it a deeper base color, I think I will under coat it with another paint color first and then crackle with "pealing paint" color I will show results
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

darrylhuffman

Here is a link to some allley photos taken in Wallace.  I loved the trip up into Burke.

http://picasaweb.google.com/darrylhuffman/IdahoIn2004#5125550782353798514

Almost all the photos after the one in the link were taken up the road into Burke.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

Scratchman

eTraxx

Those are some great photos .. I've already shared with a friend
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

finescalerr

Darryl, I saved all of your brick wall photos to my "Brick Stuff" folder. Excellent reference source!

Two things struck me:

First, only one photo shows the wall from a perspective typical of how we would view a model with a low power magnifying glass. The overall texture looks pretty smooth; very few bricks either above or below the "surface". That is consistent with the earlier photos of Burke even though they show the front of the buildings where the mason might have tried to be more careful.

Second, One photo shows what initially seems to be rough brickwork but, upon examination, what we are seeing are courses where some mortar fell out. The angle of the sun casts shadows that make the wall appear to have more brick face surface texture than it actually has.

The point of those observations? Color variation is a primary factor in creating realistic bricks. The texture of a typical plastic or plaster wall should be adequate if we pay careful attention to the mortar depth. Even on those century old walls, I saw few broken bricks. In other words, the key to recreating accurate "typical" brickwork is subtlety. This is something that gradually has been dawning on me after decades of looking more at models than actual buildings.

The attached artwork shows what I originally thought might represent newer brick. It actually would be accurate for century old brick (especially with some good 3-D mortar).

Russ

Younger

Tried my local Michaels in SoCal and they'd never heard of Ranger paints. Any other suggestions?
-Younger
-Younger

Chuck Doan

I had the same result. I even had a printed page from thier website showing the paints.

I bought some on Amazon.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

eTraxx

Quote from: Younger on December 09, 2010, 06:53:27 AM
Tried my local Michaels in SoCal and they'd never heard of Ranger paints. Any other suggestions?
-Younger

I found a whole bunch of the paint at my Michaels. It wasn't with the art stuff .. but over where the scrapbooking, paper area is. The Ranger paint is part of somekinda stamp-pad art .. right in the area of stickers etc.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"

Younger

Thanks, guys. I'll try the scrapbooking side, the clerks I asked had no idea, but then that's usually the case. If not, Chuck, I'll try Amazon.
-Younger
-Younger

RoughboyModelworks

Finally made it to Michael's tonight to pick up a reindeer nose for the car, to go with the antlers (just to irritate Marc...  ::) - pictures after the village Christmas parade tomorrow on Facebook.) and picked up an assortment of the crackle paint in the scrapbook section. I hate going in to Michael's, it's always such a mess, crafty crap and middle-aged craft ladies pushing and shoving everywhere, but usually end up finding what I'm after in the most illogical of places. Definitely a place that's worth taking the trouble to explore, if you can get around the craft ladies. Forget asking the staff, they're all working to capacity just to stay awake. Anyway, probably won't have time to work with it until after the holidays but certainly looking forward to it... results I've seen posted here have been encouraging.

Paul

Junior

Paul, you will have a great time with those paints well worth the struggle with those ladies!

Anders ;D

Mr Potato Head

Younger~
Say these words when you go back to Michaels! "Tim Holt" scrapbooking supplies! you have to speak the "Craft Store" lingo  ;D
If you still cant find it I will send you some or bring it to you in a few days, what colors do you want ??

Paul! I love it   ( just to irritate Marc... )   ;D ;D :o
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Younger

-Younger

Younger

Went back to Michaels yesterday, and sure enough, there they were, in the scrapbook session. Picked up white and green to play with.
-Younger
-Younger