• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Ranger Crackle Paints

Started by Junior, November 19, 2010, 09:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BKruger

Yep, you have to look really good in the scrapbook section. I found mine on the bottom shelf in the corner for the stamping area. I think if you tell the employees you are looking for "Distress" paints they would be more familiar than "Ranger."

I wasn't too thrilled with the color choices; been playing around with the "picket fence" white, but the green looked like mix of baby puke and Mountain Dew green.  :-\

Mr Potato Head

What more could you ask from a color~
Gil
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

marc_reusser

This is from over on the MIG forum.....a guy posted this in the crackle thread there, to show what he uses it for (it's a 28mm figure)

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Man she took his head and his watch gears. Brutal!

Interesting use for the base though.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

gin sot

I finally gave in and drank the koolaid.  Well, I bought the koolaid at least.  Same deal here in Florida-- it's buried on a tiny shelf in the scrapbooking section at Michael's, with a bunch of bubble-pack crap dangling in front of it, I really had to look.  Had a half-price coupon, though.

I like that mud flat effect, that might just have a place in the toolbox.

Addendum, six and a half hours later:

Looks like a viable way to get chipped paint in HO scale.  However, the preliminary results appear to indicate that HO scale paint chips are below the visual threshold at a typical viewing distance.  Might be useful for a contest diorama model intended for intense close-range scrutiny, but for the most part I'm probably gonna stick with my usual methods.   If I modeled in 1/4" or 1/2" scale, this would probably become a standard technique.

marc_reusser

These examples using the paint were posted on the MIG Forum; it is a current diorama project by Per Olav Lund.  Scale is 1/35.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

shropshire lad

Marc ,

I had a look at the MIG Forum but couldn't find the Per Olav thread of this build . Obviously I was looking in the wrong place so could you give us a bit of help finding it . Ta . I am interested in finding out what he has been using for his pantiles . Would they be the ones that you showed us on the Juweela website ? They look like just the sort of thing I would like to use on the building I am working on at the moment .

Thanks ,

Nick

Chuck Doan

Nick, it was in the paint techniqes section under Crackle you world or something like that.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

shropshire lad

Thanks , Chuck and Gordon for your help . Per answers my question in his post . Yes , the roof tiles are made by Juweela .

Nick

finescalerr

That was a rather worthwhile post, Marc. And thanks for the follow up links, guys. This stuff is inspirational. -- Russ

Mobilgas

That Dog House on Per Olav Lund's Diorama is Cool ;) nice touch.  And the crackle paint and weathering is Spot On.
Craig

Ray Dunakin

Yeah, the dog house is great!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

DaKra

I got a bottle of the white stuff, it has the consistency of pudding.  Is that normal or has it dried up a little in the bottle?    Also I don't really get a nice crackle effect unless its brushed on pretty thick.   ??? 

Does anyone know of an additive to make paint shrink and crack as it dries?  I'm thinking we could make our own crackle paints,  more suitable for scale model building.   This stuff seems a little too  "arts n' crafts."

Dave

darrylhuffman

I finally found some of the Ranger Crackle paints and played with them.

Using wood I had stained with shoe dye/alcohol, I got very little effect with the Ranger paints.

I found I got the result I was looking for by first sealing the stripwood by painting the stripwood with a dark raw umber acrylic paint and then letting it dry.

I then applied Delta Ceramcoat's Crackle, not the Ranger, but the usual crackle finishes available at Michaels.

Letting that coat dry for 15 minutes and then applying the Ranger Crackle gave me great results.

Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.