• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

JESTER's Painted Toys

Started by JESTER, November 23, 2010, 12:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JESTER

Once or twice a year I get an invite to be in a Custom Toy Show. I get a blank toy (DIY) someone has designed and get to customize it. I usually weather it or kit-bash it.

Here's a DIY All-City Style Train produced by Bigshot Toyworks.

-

JESTER

Here's another one. I did all the weathering with automotive paint and an airbrush and dry-brushed the fittings. At the bottom is what the original DIY looked like.

JESTER

This is actually the first custom toy I did. I cast the medal out of resin with copper powder added.

I didn't know how to mimic rust so I had an old lawn mower blade and started sanding it down for rust dust.
I then got some art pastels and tried that. Most of the powders disappeared when I hit it with the clear cote.
I ended up sponging paint on it and smearing the rust dust into the paint.

It was also the first time I tried paint chipping and was all excited when it worked!

JESTER

Here's one I did for comicon a few years ago. I didn't have an airbrush at the time so I used chipping and a black pastel for the weathering.
I tried to double chip the paint to get the white and the green below to show below the orange.

This one is 3D. If you have the glasses, check it out!

Here's the DIY.

-

-

finescalerr

Wonderfully insane. Most satisfactory execution. -- Russ

JESTER

Quote from: finescalerr on November 24, 2010, 01:15:34 AM
Wonderfully insane. Most satisfactory execution. -- Russ

Thanks Russ!

This is the 2nd custom I did. I kit-bashed this into a spaceship.

Here's another 3D image.

Here's what the DIY looks like.

-

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

JESTER

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on November 24, 2010, 11:13:23 AM
Cool!

Thanks Ray! I wasn't sure anyone was looking.  ;D

Here's a custom robot I painted.

Here's what the original piece looked like. I only had the pencil though.

-

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

JESTER

Quote from: Ray Dunakin on December 14, 2010, 08:19:00 AM
I love it! Who makes the kit?

A guy named Steve Talkowski. He's a pretty talented animator and character designer. He worked on the first Ice Age movie.

-

JohnP

Some of this is somewhat native or aboriginal in appearance such as the Zlik thingy.

Russ, when are the annual Books going to have 3-D glasses attached inside? I believe Jester has set a new standard, or maybe started a trend?

Very fun and creative, thanks for drawing our attention to your work.

John
John Palecki

JESTER

Quote from: JohnP on December 15, 2010, 06:07:27 PMVery fun and creative, thanks for drawing our attention to your work.

John

Thanks John! Speaking of 3D, here are some more 3D pics of the pieces that were in the show.

-

JESTER

I entered 2 of my rockets for the Houston Model Mania last week and got 1st and 2nd!

I was pretty surprised since they had some nice entries. My son was more exited than I was! I let him go up and get the medals. He wanted to wear the 1st place to school the next day.

-

Ray Dunakin

Ray Dunakin's World

marc_reusser

Congrats Tim! Your son does seem like quite the proud and happy camper.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works