• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Playland Penny Arcade

Started by Ken Hamilton, December 01, 2010, 06:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael mott

Ken it is a real joy to watch all the different areas of detail and great workmanship, the overall model will be a study in observation.

Michael

Ray Dunakin

Very cool! Thanks for the info.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

nk

Ken, You really have a great composition there with the truck pushed out to the left and the action taking place off centre. It keeps your eye moving in all the right directions. And I have no doubt it will be full of all the fun Hamilton details too. The sidewalk is firsdte rate with the cracks in all the rights places....nothing looks more like a crack than a crack (and I'm not talking plumbers' either!).
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

Chuck Doan

Very cool, I didn't realize a whole block was coming.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

Ken
I looked at your SBS for the concrete, and adding the sand is like a "salt" or "hairspray" technique, genius! Pure genius!!! I can't wait to try it, great work, thanks for the inspiration!  :o :o
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Chuck Doan

I believe Ken also came up with the idea of using RR ballast in plaster which worked so well for me.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Mr Potato Head

You have the title of "Wizard" ! Rightfully so! ::)
Maybe Ken deserves the title of "Einstein"  :o
Wow! Very creative stuff
MPH
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

danpickard

Thats a pretty cool little story in that scene Ken.  Like some of the others, I didn't realise the whole block was getting in the picture.  I like the idea of the different stages of the demise of the area.  I imagine if we come back in a few years time, the apartment may be gone as well.  Also, seeing as you are doing the whole block for this one, its reassuring that we will be entertained with this thread for quite some time yet.

Cheers,
Dan

Ken Hamilton

The brick gutter continues:
After the plaster bricks were glued to the strip of black construction paper,
the bricks were painted with a not-too-neatly-applied coat of Burnt Umber:

Next, the bricks were lightly dabbed with Norwegian Orange applied with a
make-up sponge. Lots of Umber was allowed to show thorough:

This was followed by dabbing on other brickish colors like Cadmium Scarlet & Vermilion,
along with a few more dabbles of Umber & Orange.  When that was dry, it was washed
with a coat of A&I to give it some depth:

Here are some of the sections of the 36" strip:

I'm going to leave it like this for now. Once the brick gutter is incorporated into
the street and sidewalk I can tie it all together with fine dirt in the cracks and some
washes and pastels.

PS:  Yes, I should have colored the plaster so pure white wouldn't show if the
bricks got chipped or broken.  I was too impatient............

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

artizen

I am really annoyed by the realism you have achieved in a quarter of the time I have. Using plaster and painting the bricks is obviously much better/quicker/realistic than the current method I am using with plaster and cement oxides.

Oh wait, the reason I don't paint my bricks is because I can never get that level of dirty realism that you have. Damn.  ;)
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

finescalerr

I'm really annoyed with your realism, too. The modeling is satisfactory nonetheless. -- Russ

Junior

This will be a great diorama with an unusal concept and story. The color of the bricks is excellent.

Anders  ;D

Malachi Constant

What the hell happened to the Yellow Brick road?  Are all our dreams lost?  First the arcade shuts down, and now this ... damn, damn, damn.

(Looks awfully good for what it is, though.)   ;)
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

nk

Ken those bricks look great. One thing I do when the bricks chip and the white plaster shows through is to apply diluted red paint to the chipped area so that you have a bright looking chip, just like a real brick.
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

mlcolbert

and that would be the one reason I would leave the the plaster 'a naturel' the extra red would make it.  Thanks for the tip nk!