• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Playland Penny Arcade

Started by Ken Hamilton, December 01, 2010, 06:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederic Testard

I had been wondering how it was held, Ken. Thanks for the explanation.
And congrats for the fantastic modelling.
Frederic Testard

granitechops

Thanks for the info Ken, Wow thats a few tons of steel hanging off that front wall!!
Don in sunny Devon, England

Chuck Doan

Thanks for the hand shot, puts it into perspective.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

TRAINS1941

Ken

This is coming along just fine.  Nice work.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Ken Hamilton

More progress on the storefront beside the Arcade - a closed luncheonette.

This has turned into sort of a tribute to an old teenage hangout that I frequented
while misspending my youth (for you non-New Englanders, "SPA" is Rhode-Island-ese for
"convenience store" long before there was any official term for convenience stores)

This is the only picture I have of the REAL Fairlawn Spa  taken on my last day of 6th grade when
I was allowed to take the family Brownie camera to school to record that historic day.  Instead, I
took pictures of Rita the Crossing Guard Lady, who I was in love with, who happened to be standing
in front of the Spa.

Too bad I was too young at the time to realize how much I would have wanted to
see "Dragstrip Girl" at the Route 44 Drive-In when I got older.....
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Junior

Ken, amazing idea with the "painted" window and for rent sign. Excellent work.

Anders ;D

Ray Dunakin

That's great, and I love your reference photo!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

BKLN

Yes, great story. That's what it's all about: Storytelling!

chester

Your childhood references date you Mr. Hamilton (OK who didn't have a Brownie?). I was told that I dated myself the other day when I mentioned a shotgun I bought at Montgomery Wards.

Your buildings are distinctive Ken. One look and I know it's yours without reading that it is. I really think your work has gone beyond modeling.

Ken Hamilton

Update: 
To make a big, decorative incandescent bulb, I applied 5-minute epoxy to an LED and twirled it
while the epoxy set up to create a globe.   The fixture is part of a 1/25th-scale hubcap.

Here's how the hallway looks with a ceiling light......

Looking down the stairs, with the temporary power hook-up in the picture....

These are just quick snapshots, but here's the effect using only the LED for illumination....

The door is just leaning in place, but this is about how far it'll be open on the finished diorama...

This is the first time I've used LEDs and I REALLY like them....
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

finescalerr

That is going to be very effective. -- Russ

Frederic Testard

Considering the exceptionnal mood of this last pic, I would have thought that even a man of few words like you, Russ, could have exclaimed over the work displayed.
I do, in any case!
Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

What Russ and Frederic said .... very effective at setting the mood!  ;)

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

JohnP

That is brilliant- the twirling epoxy to make a globe lamp. It has a very realistic appearance. Thanks for sharing that one. The whole build is eerily realistic.

Your LED also appears brilliant. It looks like it is on a 9V battery. Do you have a current limiting resistor in the circuit? http://ledcalc.com/

John

John Palecki

W.P. Rayner

This is coming along nicely Ken... I love the sense of looking in on a narrative, something that we're perhaps not supposed to be witness to... very effective.

Paul