• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Playland Penny Arcade

Started by Ken Hamilton, December 01, 2010, 06:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

Hey, Scotty!
Welcome aboard and thanks for the compliment.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Frederic Testard

Ken, I find this place fascinating. There's almost nothing (I don't say : no modelling) and yet the mood is perfectly set. And the scissor gate is perfect with this subtle weathering!
Frederic Testard

Ken Hamilton

I got the second floor hallway just about done tonight.  As noted earlier, the mirror is
an experiment in trying to add depth to the hallway when it's seen through the window:

Here's a lighted, window-eye-view of the scene:

....and a look through both the window and completed front hallway:

I might play around with dimming the lights a tad for more of a mood,
but so far I'm pleased with the overall results.

More to come.  Thanks for looking.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Ray Dunakin

Very cool! I'll have to try that mirror trick on one of my buildings someday.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Junior

Spooky.....great atmosphere Ken!

Anders ;D

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Malachi Constant

Way too cool!  Brilliant bit of reality brought into the scene with the flickering TV  light ... chair looks great ... nice bit of carpeting too.  Delightful & inspiring.  -- Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Frederic Testard

Ah, what a mood, Ken! Once more I regret not to be allowed to tell you how brilliant your work is. If I was, be sure I would...
It's particularly interesting to see how even a relatively bare interior looks quite plausible since the viewer's attention is caught by the position of the character.
Is he leaving just after commiting what he had come for?

Frederic Testard

finescalerr

NORCALLOGGER

Great senic work Ken.
Is it just me or is there really something about those last two pictures that bring to mind the old Jimmy Stewert  movie "Rear Window"? 

Keep at it guy, I love your work.
Rick

Bill Sartore

Hey Ken

Where did ya get that flickering TV doo-dad?

Probably had it in the glove box of your flying saucer. ;)

-slim

Ken Hamilton

Not too much progress.  I've been busy at work.
The windows on the third floor are done, with scratchbuilt blinds and paper drapes:

Here's a close-up:

With the TV & hall lights....

.....casting shadows.  You can see the TV Rabbit Ears in this one.

The light in the TV is a random flicker unit from "Ngineering"; an LED is at the end of the (mirrored) hall,
just like on the second floor. I really wish I could capture the TV flicker.  It's a cool effect.

Oh.....here's what the third-floor room looks like in daylight.  
Just simple shapes that cast shadows through the windows when the lights are on.

Thanks for looking.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

W.P. Rayner

Looks great Ken... love the blinds and the bottle by the chair... evocative touches. I am curious though about the blinds... what's the seam on each of the blind slats... looks like two halves of a photograph that weren't quite lined up correctly...?

Paul

Frederic Testard

The modelling is wonderful as usual, Ken. As someone said, there's something very 'Rear window-ish' in the way we're allowed to stare into these rooms.

Something puzzled me in the two first pics. On both windows there seems to be a vertical line about 3/5 starting from the left for the right one and the right for the left one, with a slight shift between the left and the right of the line. There's nothing like this in the subsequent pictures. Does anybody else see this strange thing?
Frederic Testard

Gordon Ferguson

I have also got this strange slippage, although most noticeable on the blinds it does appear to effect the whole photograph.

Anyway great work Ken, doing the blinds must have been fun! My only comment is that I think at the moment the blinds are too pristine for the look you are going for, you are probably going to colour them anyway - I think a very slight touch of off white yellow/cream colour for want of a better way of describing it nicotine stained and maybe with one or two of the slats bent down in the middle where the occupant puts his fingers through to stare out  ;)
Gordon