• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Playland Penny Arcade

Started by Ken Hamilton, December 01, 2010, 06:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Its looking really good Ken. I think it will be worth waiting for!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ken Hamilton

I hope you're not getting tired of this one hallway, but I thought you might like one last
look at the COMPLETED entry before it gets enclosed by the other side wall...

....and can only be seen through the front door:

With the back & one side glued in place, the project will now begin to move upward to the other floors...

....where I'll show more redundant photos of each minuscule step.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Malachi Constant

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on January 17, 2011, 06:12:54 PM
With the back & one side glued in place, the project will now begin to move upward to the other floors...

....where I'll show more redundant photos of each minuscule step.

Please do!  Beautiful work, and it's really nice to follow along with all the little touches as they go in place.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Ray Dunakin

Awesome! The security gate is really well done.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Yeah, that security gate caught my attention, too. -- Russ

jacq01

Together with the paper between the door knob and the - frame.

Very dangerous scale, you can easily get lost in very small details... ;)

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

Chuck Doan

Not a bit tired of it Ken. That gate and all the details are terrific.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

BKLN

Just hurry up a little, Ken!

Seriously, this is another wonderful project to follow along. I agree with Frederick, you are playing with fire in regards of detail.

DaKra

Love the scissor gate, Ken!  Construction and weathering looks completely real.  Those things are the embodiment of postwar urban malaise. 

I'm just wondering about the grafitti tagger who was respectful enough to scribble only on the menu board, and keep his ink off the wainscotting, tiles and wallpaper.   

Dave

mrboyjrs

Hey Ken,
Another great model... After seeing all your stuff at CSS2010 it is hard to look at pictures.
This one doesn't look like one of your 2 ton designs...
Keep playing with fire Ken...
Jimmy Simmons
Monster Modelworks
www.monstermodelworks.com

onl26

Hey Ken
Just your usual unbelievably creative work. How did you do the gate? I live one town south of the most famous Playland in Rye, NY.
Kevin

Don Railton

Ken - Another work of art.

I second that question on the gate.  Are those styrene strips?

Don

TRAINS1941

Ken

Excellent detail.  Wow the gate is so realistic.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

nemmrrc

Nice padlock on the gate. It looks hefty.

Jaime

Ken Hamilton

Thanks guys.  Here's the backstory on the gate:
When I drew the very first sheet that I sent out to have photo-etched, I really didn't know
how the final line weights, etc., would work out and I ended up drawing most things way to thin.
One of those things were some security gates that were a mere .010" wide, too thin to be used as-is...

For this current gate, I glued styrene strips to the "too-thin" etched piece to create a more accurate gate.
The thin diagonals in the background on the finished gate are the original .010" brass, which I left
"un-covered" for some visual interest...

The finishing process was pretty straighforward:
Automotive primer;
A wash of Jo Sonja "Brown Earth" acrylic;
Bragdon "rust" powder, partially removed afterwards by dabbing with a thinner-soaked rag;
A dry-brushed application of "Rub & Buff" silver.

The lock & hasp are from Ozark Miniatures.  Rivets are Tichy.

Dave, our taggers are polite. Although I'm trying to represent an older building, I didn't want it to be
TOO run down. I guess I was also trying to recall a simpler time when vandalism wasn't as destructive.

Kevin:  Yeah, you're near the Mother of All Playlands!  I just really like that name............

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/