• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

The Playland Penny Arcade

Started by Ken Hamilton, December 01, 2010, 06:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck Doan

Those meters came out nice. Neat gate too.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

james_coldicott

Great work Ken,

was going to say that your bricks, while an odd size 'face on' replicate perspective brilliantly on a side wall- I love it when perspective techniques usually seen in paintings are used for models. Very inspiring

to answer Andi's question re UK photo etch architectural details, this is the place...

http://www.scalelink.co.uk/acatalog/Etched_Brass_Frets___Photo_decoupe.html

hope that helps.

James

Ken Hamilton

Thanks, James.  I only wish I had done that on purpose.....

Here's a quick little SBS on how I just did a plaster lath wall that will be seen from the back.
Building a the wall in scale is done the same way as the old craftsmen used to do it. 
First, I framed a wall with scale 2'x 4" lumber.  I squared the wall over graph paper:

The lath was done with thin, pre-stained strip stock:

From the back, the wall looked like this with the lath strips in place:

Next, I applied spackle to the front of the wall with a styrene trowel, squeezing a little
bit through the spaces between the lath:

From the front, the finished wall looks like this.  Since this side of the wall won't be
seen, I'll leave it like this. If it were going to show, I'd sand this side and apply a finish
coat of spackle:

The INTERESTING side of the wall is the back:

In some spots, too much spackle oozed through, but that's easily chipped off
with a toothpick after everything dries:

This wall will be placed in front of a window in the Arcade building that was sealed
off during an earlier renovation.  Not a detail that will jump out, but it adds a little
more interest to the scene:

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Ray Dunakin

Nice work on that lath and plaster!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

TRAINS1941

Ken

That is so neat looking.  It sure does look the real thing it was a craft in days gone by.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

michael mott

Ken the plaster detail is great, and the painted ghost is a super touch I saw a lot of those in London as a kid.

Michael

finescalerr

I'm glad I'm not the only one to use spackle on models. But I've never used it so effectively. -- Russ

fspg2

Ken it´s  always a pleasure to look at your excellent work. Thank you for showing!
Frithjof

lab-dad

Great idea! Very realistic.
Bet most dont even know why the plaster is squeezing out.
Marty

pwranta193

You can pretty much count on that lathe and plaster thing showing up in a diorama of mine in the future... so simple and so effective.  It looks spot on to stuff I've demo'd in 1:1 - and with your aged wood, is yet another mini-work of inspiration within this very cool project.
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Malachi Constant

Quote from: lab-dad on February 26, 2012, 05:13:18 AM
Great idea! Very realistic.
Bet most dont even know why the plaster is squeezing out.
Marty

Because the grass is always greener on the other side ... or something like that!  My grandma's house had plaster walls ... all the pictures on the wall were hung from wires suspended from nails in the crown molding ...
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

Great job on the lath Ken! Another good idea to copy!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Junior

Great detail work on everything here. What will the footprint be of this superb diorama?

Anders

Ken Hamilton

Thanks, guys.  Anders, the base is 20" x 40".

The hole in the bricked-up second floor window was going to be simply a hole,
but I thought maybe it could serve as a basis for an inconspicuous detail...

....so I made this quickie box with some general details for inside the "hole":

An LED behind the plastic curtain over the door creates this effect:

Here's the box placed inside the Arcade building behind the hole in the brick wall. 
The LED at the top center of the door is on, but you can't really tell in this picture

Here's what all this is trying to achieve.  When the viewer notices the light and peeks in
the "hole", a small and somewhat difficult to see interior room will present itself. 
Not something you might notice the first time around, but something to keep you
interested during the second or third look......

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Ray Dunakin

What a marvelous feature! The plastic curtain over the doorway, with the light shining through it, is the perfect touch!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World