• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Home amongst the gum tree's...

Started by danpickard, December 11, 2010, 02:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

danpickard

Hi all,
So its been some time since updating this thread, but have been still playing with these trees.  Will be presenting a clinic on the process at my local NMRA Convention, here in Melbourne in about a month.  Finally got the clinic notes finished, which ended up being 16 pages of notes on how to make one tree!  I will say the notes were fairly extensive, in the attempt to cover all questions and details that are likely to be faced by anyone else trying to make trees this way. Certainly took a whole lot longer to write the clinic than it does to make one, and trying to shoot the SBS pics without getting glue, paint and clay all over the camera was challenging.

There's a couple of extra images here.  If anyone is interested, I can also forward a copy of the clinic notes (PDF, 10.4MB), just send me a private email and I can forward the file.

Cheers,
Dan

Ray Dunakin

Nice, the peeling bark looks very authentic.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

nk

nice work on the bark. It looks just right, although I haven't seen a gum for the last decade. Now you have to capture that charactertic vertical hang of the leaves!
You may ask yourself: "Well, how did I get here?"

http://public.fotki.com/nkhandekar/

danpickard

Ahh the hanging leaves...someone actually pulled me up at an exhibition a while back about my leaves all pointing up, instead of hanging down.  Of course it was one of the other exhibitors that had wandered over from his "plasticville" layout that was there on display (you know, bright green grass, glossy plastic trees etc) to point out the flaws in my efforts ;D

Unfortunately, I will eventually be needing to build enough trees to fill about 30+ feet of scenery (fairly densly too), so I'm not going to be doing some of that super finescale tree modelling and apply individual leaves, all hanging in the right direction.  I'll have to hope that people are distracted by the colour, shape and texture of the trees instead.  Still, I reckon the upright leaves are still a better effect than balls of ground foam.

Cheers,
Dan

finescalerr

Perhaps you could build the trees upside down .... -- ssuR

danpickard

Technically speaking Russ, they already are...to you.  ::)

Dan

Chuck Doan

I think the overall effect is fine. Ultra detailed scenery is problematic especially for a large dio or layout.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

danpickard

Just trying out this file sharing link, for those that are interested in a copy of the clinic notes for these trees.  I've emailed a number of copies so far, but hopefully this public link will make things a bit easier...

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/43315560/GUM%20TREES%20CLINIC.pdf

Cheers,
Dan

TRAINS1941

That works just fine Dan.  Thanks.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Krusty

Thanks for the link Dan. Those are very nice trees. It's kinda sorta interesting that different countries seem to have different types of hanging basket liner. You have the bark material, we only have coconut fibre, the Brits have a version of wool carpet underlay. What do garden centres in the US sell?
Kevin Crosado

"Caroline Wheeler's birthday present was made from the skins of dead Jim Morrisons
That's why it smelt so bad"

TRAINS1941

Dan

My wife and grandkids where at a zoo in South Jersey yesterday.  And walking through the forest they have trees and place cards on what they are.  We came across this Black Gum tree now would that be the same as what you have down-under???

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

danpickard

Hi Jerry,
Don't think so, following a quick google look.  Aussie gums are of the eucalypt family.  There is hundreds of different names for them (many based upon colour...white/snow/ghost/grey/red/blue gum etc), but I can't say I've heard of a Black Gum, except for following a bush fire ;D

Cheers,
Dan

eTraxx

Gum tree is the common name for the Eucalyptus in Australia and the Black Gum or Tupelo (Nyssa sylvatica) in North America.

Nyssa sylvatica, commonly known as black tupelo, tupelo, or black gum, is a medium-sized deciduous tree native to eastern North America from New England and southern Ontario south to central Florida and eastern Texas, as well as Mexico.
Ed Traxler

Lugoff, Camden & Northern RR

Socrates: "I drank WHAT?"