• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kentucky Northern Caboose

Started by EZnKY, December 23, 2010, 05:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZnKY

I had a tough day today folks.  I've had the roof built for a little while. but hadn't covered it yet. 
I tried a method I had read about years ago - covering the roof with 600 grit sandpaper to represent a tar paper roof - and hated the results.  So I tore it all off and started over using masking tape.
Came out much better the second time.  We'll see if paint covers the mistakes.

Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

On a more positive note, I got the smoke jack built.  I'm going to try a salt mask for the paint.

I hope everyone has a great new year!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Ray Dunakin

Wow, that smokejack turned out great! I would have thought it was full size, if I didn't know better.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

Eric, back in the old Outdoor Railroader days I never would have guessed you were capable of such superior modeling. This model is a winner. -- Russ

DaKra

The masking tape roof covering looks great.  I'd just be concerned about it sticking over the long term, even under a couple of coats of sealer.    Maybe you could cast the roof in resin, then its a single solid part with the texture you want.       

madmike3434

If you looking for a nice texture look on a roof , have you tried KLEENEX.

Take and split the 2 ply sheet into one ply.  Cut into scale 3 foot wide strips with SHARP scissors. Take floquil grimey black or weathered black  paint and put coat on roof , nice and wet. Lay the strips of kleenex carefully into the wet paint using a 3/4" wide soft brush for O scale. Fold the kleenex under the roof edge and apply coat of paint.  Half hour or earlier , take paint and brush a coat over the surface and leave to dry.   When dry select a paint that looks like tar...engine black ?..and use  a fine small pointed  brush do the lapped seams .

What you should have now is a nice textured roof surface that looks like canvas or tar paper if coloured corrctly with engine black and some weathering..

Just my thoughts on the subject..........mike

EZnKY

I got a base coat on the roof today and I think it'll be salvageable. 

Dave- I sealed the edges of each course of masking tape with super glue, so I'm hoping it will stay stuck over the long term.  I read about this method on Jack Thompson's website. (http://4largescale.com/Thompson/49.htm

Mike- I've read about the Kleenex method but haven't tried it yet.  Next project maybe...

Russ-  Thanks for the kind words.  I've learned a lot since then.  And made a lot of mistakes.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

Some more progress shots of the smoke jack and roof surface.

I gave the smoke jack a base coat of engine black, followed by sponge painting with cheap orange and brown acrylics, followed by a thinned coat of roof brown to tone down everything. 

The roof has been washed with some thinned black acrylic, and drybrushed with gray and light brown acrylic.  I'm planning on adding some weathering powders when I get closer to the end. 

Comments and critique welcome!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

And an overall shot of the area.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

78ths

The roof looks great. I like the toned down effect on the stack. Really nice transition from a new black stove pipe to one that is in use.

One of the roof materials I have used is egyptian cotton 600+ thread count glued down with any of the carpenter glues.  It is probably more applicable to canvas covered roofs as the edges if cut into strips has a tendency to fray until the glue has cured.

cheers Ferd
Ferd Mels  Ontario Canada    eh!
SE Scale - all other scales pale by comparison.  7/8"=1'-0"
www.78ths.com

Chuck Doan

I like it! Your grab irons are especially clean looking.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Ken Hamilton

Ditto what Chuck said.  This is a precise, well-executed and SUPER kool project.
Very nice work!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Mobilgas

Craig

EZnKY

Thanks guys - I really appreciate the encouragement.

I'm a really slow and inexperienced modeler compared to most of you, so the kind words help.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Malachi Constant

Eric --

The detailing and finishes on your caboose are amazing!  Gotta go back and take a long, lingering look at each of the photos again ...

Bravo!
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com