• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kentucky Northern Caboose

Started by EZnKY, December 23, 2010, 05:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZnKY

I'm going to upload a bunch of pictures, so bear with me.
I think I'm done with all of the major sub-assemblies, so it's time to start gluing stuff together.
My plan is to focus on the details and overall weathering once it's all together.  (I've struggled in the past with consistency when I've weathered the pieces separately.)

I'd like some feed back on how far to take the weathering.  I either seem to stop too early, or go to far. 

I'll start with the interior furniture...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

And here's the frame...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

And the shell...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

The underside of the shell...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

And the roof.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! The furnishings look spot-on, especially the finish and "weathering". How did you make the hinges on the cabinet doors?
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

EZnKY

Thanks Ray!
The hinges are castings from Ozark.  I sanded the backplates quite a bit thinner, which really helped their appearance.

Here's a close up.  (Please pardon the dust on the cabinet - I never seem to see this stuff until looking at the pictures on screen.)
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Tom Neeson

Eric, this is a fantastic model, every bit as good as anything else displayed on this site, in my opinion.

I really love the seats, it's nice to see some sculpting done, not just some wildly overscale fabric glued to a piece of balsa wood. And the leather finish is perfect.

As to the weathering, I think you're 95% there already...Looks great!!

Tom

P.S. Sorry I can't be more critical, I just can't find anything to pick on...
No Scribed Siding!

Frederic Testard

Eric, I love your model. It's so nicely detailed and finished!
Frederic Testard

EZnKY

Thanks for the continued encouragement!

I've made a little progress in the past couple of days.  I've glued the major sub-assemblies together without major mishap, and i's good to finally see the interior taking shape.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

I've also built a water cooler for the sink.  It's thin brass sheet wrapped around a wood block, with some pipe fittings, a little brass rod, and a walkway brace casting used for the bracket.  Sort of like something they might have actually used.

Sorry about the stump in the second picture - I don't want to glue it in place until I'm done weathering it.

I've also bought some window glass from Clover House.  Any suggestions on how to weather the glass?  It's incredibly clear at present.  Ridiculously clear.  I'm thinking about some dust-colored pigments in the corners.  Or would a thin wash be better?
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Malachi Constant

Eric --

Beautiful construction & detailing ... fabulous model!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

Chuck Doan

Yes it is coming out well. I really like the clean crisp construction.

I have used fine powdered dirt on glass, but only on the backside where it won't be disturbed. Not sure what i would do for two sided glass. Pigment powders at least can be removed if you dont like them.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

BKLN

Junior

Exceptional in every detail.....great!

Anders ;D