• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Kentucky Northern Caboose

Started by EZnKY, December 23, 2010, 05:47:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frederic Testard

I really love it, Eric. It's very inspiring.
I always have the feeling when I see these large scale models that it's easier to model in such a size.
And I perfectly know it's not, in particular since the smallest details will eventually be the same actual size as the smallest ones in other scales.
I'll have to make something big some day to make my own experience of this.
Frederic Testard

EZnKY

Thanks so much everyone!

Frederic-  you're right the larger scales pose a unique set of challenges.  You can use the power of suggestion at smaller scales, relying on the viewers imagination and past experience to "fill in the gaps."  That doesn't work in large scale since everything is so visible.  But then there are also times when the scale is too small to tackle the next  level of detail.  I guess this is what makes it fun!

Chuck-  I'm worried about the two-sided glass as well.  I'm going to try a wash first since it's more permanent.  I ordered enough glass to sacrifice some pieces for the cause. 
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Ray Dunakin

Truly top-notch work! I too am impressed with the clean construction.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

finescalerr

So far you have done everything right. -- Russ

Scratchman

Eric, I really like this caboose, great detail and your work is nice and clean.

Gordon Birrell

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

EZnKY

Thanks everyone!
I've got glass in about half of the windows.  Tedious work. 

I've also tried a couple of approaches to weathering the glass and a thin wash of light tan paint seems to work the best for now.  You can't touch it though.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

EZnKY

We had a tiny bit of sunshine today, so I took the caboose outside and shot a couple of quick pictures.  Interesting results.  I was afraid I had taken some of the weathering too far, but in the brighter sun, it almost disappears.  Just goes to show how much lighting makes a difference!

I'm getting close on this one.  Still working on the window glass, the side doors, and some touch up here and there.  And then some interior details; coffee pot, desk papers, cargo, etc.,
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

finescalerr

Here is a really subjective and not very strong nitpick: The finish looks slightly too "model" like at this stage. Maybe it's the perfect paint job and carefully applied highlights; I don't know. I also don't know how to "improve" on it since there's absolutely nothing "wrong" with with you have done.

Perhaps it would benefit from a very subtle touch of stain here and there, like a pin wash down the V-grooves.

Can one of our luminaries better express what I may be seeing and suggest a possible solution? Or tell me it's just the photo's lighting or my own unrealistic expectation?

Eric, PLEASE DON'T MESS WITH IT unless somebody can explain exactly what to do -- if anything -- and if you are certain you could  improve rather than compromise the finish. The model is so close to utter perfection, less would be more at this point. The model already is outstanding and likely could win a contest.

Russ

EZnKY

I COMPLETELY agree with you Russ, and I would love some input.  I can point to several missing tasks, but I'm not sure that will make the "leap" you and I are looking for.  For example, I've put some rust pigments on the roof below the smoke jack, but nothing on the wall below.  And there isn't any dust/grime on the bottom of the sides kicked up from the tracks.

I've tried pin washes before with mixed success, especially on scribed siding.

My opinion is things are just to deliberate and considered.  I wish I could relax and just let things happen more.  I need to channel a little Mac McCalla...
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

james_coldicott

Eric,

been following your project and really like your work- a beautiful model. I agree with Russ. Am not a 'luminary' but having looked at the photo's I'll offer a couple of suggestions...

the original photo that inspired your model on page 1 does show very well defined planks- a pin stripe would appear to be the answer to replicate this, but...

your model looks odd in the second photo because there are lovely shadows across the tops of the side where the roof overhangs but none in the grooves of the planks- this would be fine if it were midday with the sun at 12 o'clock but the shadows from the end rails show the sun at an angle- I think this is why Russ picked up that something was amiss. If your layout lighting has a different effect then leave well alone!

If not you need to try to replicate shadows of similar hue to those under the roof in the grooves but a couple of reference shots that might help...

had a quick look through for equipment of a similar colour and found these from the EBT...

these would seen to indicate that a pin wash is indeed the way to go...

james_coldicott

...alternatively there is just a little variation in colour here on individual planks...

actually I think the first photo shows off your finish really well and I'd be cautious about doing more.

If you were to use a thinish wash of oil paint you have the time to wipe paint away from the surface of the planks or to remove everything as long as the planks are adequately sealed first. I'd hate to see you take a step you regret though- hopefully this gets you on the way to making a decision on what to do!

If it were my model I'd be really proud of it just as it is!

James

finescalerr

Before anyone else contributes, here's one thing I see in James' examples: A slight irregularity between side boards in both color and surface height. Eric, you used scribed siding so your board surfaces are very regular and of consistent color. Better not try to mess with that or you could be courting disaster. You anticipated some of that irregularity on your reefer by staining some boards darker. (I wonder whether also adding slight grain to those boards before painting would help. Again, maybe somebody could comment ....)

Actually, though, the "darker" planks in James' caboose examples are refracting light differently because of deeper grain. If you look at them flat on, they are identical in color.

That's why my nitpick is so obnoxious. It seems to suggest you could do something at this late stage that, perhaps, you should have done with texture before you ever painted the model. And that is why I would be afraid to touch such a great model now unless I knew with certainty I could improve it.

Still, such little tidbits are good to remember when you build the next model. Marc Reusser taught me some valuable lessons by nitpicking a couple of my finished models.

Russ

jacq01

Eric,

you did a marvelous job on the caboose and reefer.  I agree with Russ not to touch the caboose further till you have a garanteed methode of improvement.
     Some fading done with powders don't look right to me, but it could be the lightfall. Difficult to say, I don't have a solution based on what I see from the photo's.
     Only seeing it "alive" makes remarks valid.

QuoteMarc Reusser taught me some valuable lessons by nitpicking a couple of my finished models

In general, that what is missing in most topics nowadays.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

finescalerr

I guess Jacq is saying we tend to be too liberal with applause and too stingy with constructive comments so perhaps we need more balance.

It's more fun to see a bunch of "fantastic job" posts than a list of things you might have improved. But you learn nothing from compliments.

When I built my first paper structure, I took it to a meet and asked for criticism. I received about two or three reluctant critical comments. My first reaction was that the guys were nitpicking just to come up with something and I was annoyed by the "trivial" nature of what they said. Then I looked at the model and realized, had I made those corrections, it would have had those little realistic touches that the very best modelers include.

Jacq's point is something all of us should think about. Positively and judiciously criticizing somebody else's model also will make us more critical of our own efforts.

Russ

EZnKY

Jacq and Russ,
I agree with everything you've said, and my only response is "bring it on!"  The thing that led to start participating in this community instead of just lurking was the realization I needed to look beyond myself if my modeling was going to improve.  I'll admit there are times the positive feedback is nice, especially if I'm struggling with a particular issue and an "atta boy" helps me through it.  But there are so many really skilled people here that we can all learn from.   I struggle with the final finish, and I want to get better.

I think part of the challenge in forums like this is the lack of human interaction.  You can't read a person's reactions online, so the tendency is to either be extra respectful, or a total a**hole. 

So again, "bring it on."

James,
I really appreciate the photos, and your comment about the lack of shadows between the boards is spot on.  I'll do a couple of experiments on some scrap wood before I attack the caboose.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky