• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

wslc reynolds elevated cooking house build #477

Started by madmike3434, December 30, 2010, 02:46:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madmike3434

Here is a link to my photobucket account that contains pictures of my O scale build #477 of Tom Yorkes version of the wslc cookhouse, reynolds camp.

http://s185.photobucket.com/albums/x169/madmike3434/elevated%20logging%20cookhouse/

After building the pilot build i got involved in looking at it and thinking, this could be better looking, but what to do.?????  The light went on and I got some pink foam stuff and glued it together for a hillside layout. I then proceeded to completely redesign a brand new board on board deck and elevated it up 12 foot in the air.

I liked what i did so much that i also built it 3 more times #478--480--483 in various colours and roof treatments. I still have a monster version of it at 90% done but unfinished,  that doubles its length and it sits at 20 scale feet high with a cook area lift to inside.

mike

madmike3434

Russ, i am no longer offering Tom Yorke licensed re-issues since last summer as R Bendover holds rights to all those designs. I did mention i happen to have 5 left of the Beulahs re-issue, because its the only thing available for sale.  If thats contary to site rules i will edit the post at your request.  I have edited that post and removed the offending text.

I am simply showing various diorama builds i have done, which i thought was the purpose of this section.  Some of them happen to have been original Tom Yorke kits i built up usually with many modifications  & for others who may have those original kits or re-issues to show some new ideas on how to do them.

Re link to photobucket site.   Russ , I have always had a large problem uploading pictures onto sites such as this. Even photobucket causes me some grief.  Some demand you shrink the size and other things. Its something i have never really gotten the hang of, other than uploading to yahoo groups which is so easy to do.
I stumble around somehow getting internet stuff done.

mike

finescalerr

Okay, good. As you can see I removed my post.

The easiest way I have found to post photos of the proper size is to select a TIFF or JPEG, right click, choose "Send To", then choose "Mail Recipient". A dialog box will give you the choice of making your images smaller. Depending on how many images you want to post at one time, choose either the 1024 x 768 or 800 x 600 option. That generally will result in file sizes between about 75 to 50 kilobytes. (There is a 200 kb limit per post on this site.)\

An e-mail window will open. Drag the resulting mini-images from that window to your desktop for temporary storage. After you have written about the photos here, click "Additional Options" beneath the text window, then "Attach: Choose File", and locate your little images. Select them and click "Post". They will appear beneath your text as if by magic.

I hope my instructions are clear enough to get you started.

Russ

madmike3434

here is a picture of the elevated cookhouse

madmike3434

madmike3434

madmike3434

Frederic Testard

Nice pictures, Mike, thanks for sharing. I wonder if I won't steal - errh, borrow - the design to feed the miners on my Sn3 layout.
Frederic Testard

madmike3434

Fred.....sure no problem its the west side lumber companys REYNOLDS CAMP cookhouse.  I can supply you with the O scale dimensions  if you want them to convert down to SSSSSS.   
There is windows in the rear walls, but for some reason i never took a picture of them.  The latest version thats double length of 76 ft has the whole rear wall of windows.

I enjoyed building this one so much i have done it 4 times, each time using tom yorkes cookhouse castings for the walls.  I think it would be fun to do it scratch with 1/4" spacing board and batton sheeting from northeastern. I find that Mt Alberts B & B at only 3" wide sheet has much sharper edged battons. I try to use northeasterns more because it is available in 6" wide sheets, less joints.

I think this would look great set onto the side of a logging hill area along with a bevy of assorted design camp houses...its the way i plans to use mine, eventually.
mike

madmike3434

here is a depot buff coloured one that sepia colour brown ink has been applied to all the rotted areas of the wood and the knotholes using a very tiny pointed brush.
Also note that the front wall is all windows and one door only, verses the stock 3 door version in green.

I used craft paper cut to 36 scale inch strips to simulate tar paper and i coloured it green using a spray bomb colour that was called BLACKBOARD GREEN.   I put tar lines on using floquil grimey black with a very tiny brush .
mike

madmike3434

here is also a picture of the double length of 76 scale feet long super version i still have under construction.  I also took  an peaked section and grafted that onto the far end as a bumpout area.  Scratch built long vents for the roof was constructed in 2 areas for effect.  One over the eating area and other over the cooking area.

The plan for this is to have it rise up the side of a hill 16--20 feet high with a multi level staircase system to get up there. The bumpout area will sit over the tracks and a trap door system will open to allow the groceries to be winched up off a flat car.

The corregated roof is really rusted and has not been treated with powders of any kind.

mike

Frederic Testard

Thanks for the additionnal pictures, Mike. The big model is ... big. 76' in O scale make a huge structure.
So I understand the 'standard' structure is 38' long, about 7.5" in S scale, it's reasonable. Counting the battens the width seems to be about half the length, so let's say about 20' = 3.75" in S scale. That makes an interesting structure in a rather small space.
Frederic Testard

madmike3434

Fred..........end wall measures 5 1/2' across and 4 1/2' too the peak
mike

Frederic Testard

Thanks for the precision, Mike. I was two scale feet short...
Frederic Testard

madmike3434

Quote from: madmike3434 on February 14, 2011, 04:42:53 PM
Fred..........end wall measures 5 1/2' across and 4 1/2' too the peak
mike

Fred.......that should read 5 1/2 INCHES across and 4 1/2 INCHES too the peak

mike