• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Two-seat vault privy in 1:16 scale

Started by Scratchman, November 17, 2007, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John McGuyer

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm trying to learn. What is Silverwood?

John

finescalerr

Silverwood is a chemical wood stain by Builders-In-Scale. It turns wood silver-gray whereas an alcohol and India ink solution tends to turn wood more of a gray-brown (because black particles in the solution embed themselves in the wood pores). Here in the Los Angeles area, the Original Whistle Stop carries Silverwood (although I had to wait six weeks for them to restock!). Caboose Hobbies almost certainly does, too, for online orders.

Initially I doubted Silverwood would appear much different from an India ink solution. I was wrong. It is very effective and I now have a bottle.

Russ

Scratchman

Marc, I used a razor saw running the side of the blade over the work piece to form the lines. Sorry for leaving that step out. 

Silver Wood Stain
Google C. C.Crow and click on Builders in Scale  under General Modeling Supplies. The stuff is new to me.

John McGuyer

Thank you, thank you. Sounds like many of us are learning. I shall order some of the stuff. When I call, are there any other stains i should include in my order?

John

Don Railton

Scratchman

Don, I don't know if its the same . What did you used on your  lobster-wharf for the weathered wood it looks good.

Gordon Birrell

Don Railton

Gordon - I used "Weather-It" on all of the wood, including buildings that were later partially painted with acrylics.  From the descriptions of Silverwood on the forum, it sounds similar.

Don

http://public.fotki.com/DonRailton/lobster-wharf/

marc_reusser

From my experience, the main difference is that siverwood stain can be built up to a mauch darker finfish than the "Weather-It".  It also seems to have a very slightly brown-grey tint as it builds up, compared to the "Weather-it"...which in my experience tended to be more light silvery grey. The chemical basis/makeup is also different.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Scratchman

finescalerr

Nice work, Gordon. I almost have to hold my nose! -- Russ

ak-milw

Very, very nice!!
The only thing missing IS the smell.

Ray Dunakin

Nice work! What is this "Mr. Surfacer" product, and where can I get it? Also, is it something that would be suitable for outdoor use?

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Scratchman

Ray, If you google Mr. Surfacer you will fine a lot of info on this product.It is used buy the plastic modelers.

Gordon Birrell 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

RoughboyModelworks

Mighty fine crapper Gordon. Looks good enough to put out behind the house  ;)

Paul