• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Gregg Companys' Confluente 12 Ton Sugar Cane Car

Started by MT Hopper, January 16, 2011, 12:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MT Hopper

Am having great difficulty analyzing the sole image I have ( from the 1919 Car Builders Cyclopedia ) of the subject cars' top rail. It "appears" to be almost a horizontal rectangular Z shape based soley on light and shadow analysis. Does anyone know of a better source for an image or drawings for this car?

Thanks
Cheers from the Heart of the Continent
MT Hopper
From the Heart of the Continent

marc_reusser

I have an actual 1918 Gregg Co. catalog...if you can post a pic of the car you are s[eaking of I will dig out the catalog and see if the car is in it...if so I can post the catalog cut.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

MT Hopper

MT Hopper

Here is an enleged view of the top railing

marc_reusser

I'll check the catalog. Don't know how good the image will be if there is one. From your's it does look like a "z" or a pair of lapped "L"s.

I do know that I have a catalog cut showing the design/construction of the standard Gregg steel frame, for their cars, if you can use that also.

Marc

M-Works

MT Hopper

Quote from: marc_reusser on February 01, 2011, 01:13:45 AM
I'll check the catalog. Don't know how good the image will be if there is one. From your's it does look like a "z" or a pair of lapped "L"s.

I do know that I have a catalog cut showing the design/construction of the standard Gregg steel frame, for their cars, if you can use that also.

Marc
The catalogue cut would be great! Thanks Marc!
I've been after the Confluente because it seems to have been the prevalent design used in Cuba during the 1930 to 1945 time period,
The latticed end supports seem to always be on the cars in old photos.
Once again thanks for your help, much appreciated sir.
Will

marc_reusser

Still need to dig out the catalog file for the whole car images....but here are the applicable pages dealing with the car frames and one of the pages dealing with the trucks, that I had on hand.

HTH,

M

M-Works

EZnKY

Wow!  Great images Marc - thanks for uploading these.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

MT Hopper

Thank you Marc for posting the catalogue cuts.

Will

JohnP

Sweet stuff Marc. I just love the old airbrushed renderings.  Artistic and technical at the same time. 'Course the details for modeling are useful too.

John
John Palecki

marc_reusser

OK...sorry for the delay. Finally dug out my scans of the catalog and cropped and sized them for here.

Gregg has about 100 cane cars, but these three are the ones in the style type you are probably asking about,. these are what Gregg terms as their "Gregg Standard Cane Car: For unloading with chains"...and have the structure/design you are after. Thwo of them are all steel, and the the third one is steel and wood (I threw that one in just for interest)

Look at the tables on the sheet, and it will give you the general dimensions and specs for the specific car tonnage.

Looking at the three detail images it appears that the top rail seems to be a simple "L" piece

Car #1:

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works

marc_reusser

M-Works