• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1/12th scale drop leaf table

Started by onl26, January 16, 2011, 11:13:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

onl26

Hello All
I guess this is an unusual first post but I have seen a few about miniature furniture so here goes. I scratch built this table from plans in The Scale Cabinetmaker (Dorsett Publications no longer in print) around 1979 for my Moms dollhouse no less. It's my first and only piece in this scale and really the first thing I modeled other than plastic kits as a kid. It's walnut with a rubbed oil finish. The legs were hand carved from patterns, the pedestal turned on a Dremel moto-lathe and the top edges and drop leaves were routed with a dremel on a router table made of plywood from plans in the same mag. It's a bit primitive and you will see a few signs of glue but it's still a neat little piece. The drop leaves do work and the only purchased items are the ugly hinges from miniature houseworks. Very soon after this build I was in my LHS and saw my first model railroad mag and that was the end of my 1\12 scale adventure.

Kevin

shropshire lad

Kevin-bloody-O'Neill is there no limit to your talents ? Considering you were just a boy back then this is a lovely piece of work . It is a pity you haven't improved much since then !

How about showing us some more of your work ,

Nick

Frederic Testard

Hi Kevin, when I remember what I was doing around 1979, my admiration to you is again multiplied by a big factor.
Frederic Testard

onl26

Thanks guys
The thing I really like about this is it's the best pics I've taken with my new camera! The white background really makes a difference Russ just like you said.
Nick, you told me to  try scratch building and I forgot that I had many years ago.

Kevin

Ray Dunakin

That is a really nice piece of work! Well done!
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Junior

Kevin, great to see you here. Very nice and charming table.

Anders ;D

Ken Hamilton

Hi, Kevin:
It's good to see you over here. 
This forum continues to attract the Best-of-the-Best!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

Chuck Doan

Nice! My folks hang out in the dollhouse miniature world. I have seen some amazing work in that scale. Very tempting.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

onl26

Thanks very much guys. Chuck, I wonder if your parents know of Harry Smith who was "the master" back when I was dabbling in that scale. Stunning craftsmanship from him with more than just furniture.  http://harrywsmith.com/Miniatures/Miniatures.html  Here is a link for those interested.

Kevin

Chuck Doan

I don't know if they know Mr. Smith, but they do know a Ferd Sobol. I have also met him and have seen his furniture. It is top notch stuff.

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

DaKra

I've mentioned it here before, the Harry Smith How-To book is the best book I've ever come across, concerning miniature wood working.  Some ingenious techniques in there, especially his methods for duplicating the standard carpenters joints in miniature.  Well worth the cover price. 

Dave   

onl26

I checked out the Ferd Sobol editions Chuck, very fine work for sure.
Dave, I've owned that Harry Smith book for many years. He lives down in Camden Maine or at least he used to.

Kevin

TRAINS1941

Kevin

Brett sees this he'll have you making office furniture for his kits.  Or maybe for his office.
Nice work for sure,

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

SandiaPaul

Paul

W.P. Rayner

That's very impressive work from Mr. Robertson, scale dovetails and all... outstanding.

Paul