• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Brain fart..Scale conversion multiplier help needed

Started by marc_reusser, January 18, 2011, 01:17:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

For some reason my brain is just not functioning.....

Can somebody give me the scale conversion ratio/multiplier for full size/1:1 to 1:35  .......I seem to think and end up with .02857......but just not sure.

Marc (really losing my marbles)
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

mad gerald

... are you serious ...  ???

0,028571428 seems to be correct ... (as far as I can trust my pocket calculator and BRAIN 1.0)  ;)

HTH

Gerald

jacq01

0,02857142857142857142857142857143   is a good approximation  ;D ;D

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

marc_reusser

Thanks guys......was just having one of those moments, when for some reason it didn't make sense to me.....and I didn't trust myself.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

danpickard

Marc, once you've worked it out, not sure if you may find this little applicaton as a handy tool to keep on the "desktop"...I've found it a quick and easy tool to refer too, rather than walking to the other end of the house to the hobby room to find a scale.  You are able to add which ever scale you want into it and the conversion will calculate.

http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/sconv2.zip

Dan

Frederic Testard

Easy rule : when you have a size s on a 1:n scale model and you want to know how much it would be on a 1:m scale model, you multiply s by n and divide by m.
It works even if n = 1. So you must divise by 35 = multiply by 1/35 = what Jacq said with a veeeeery small error still less than your minimal resolution, Marc (but when you get even better, we might have to add a few digits :) ).
Frederic Testard

SandiaPaul

This site has a bunch of good calculators, its a button at the top right:

http://scalemotorcars.com/index.php

paul
Paul

Gordon Ferguson

Paul,

thanks for that link - the bolt hole calculator is really useful (calculates any number of bolts around any size of circle)
Gordon

JohnP

I make Excel spreadsheets that have the conversions by the scale inch, and then have 1/4 - 1/2 - 3/4 on the top to add into the whole inch conversion. No calculator needed. I can fit 192" on one printed sheet easily, more if I made the font smaller.
John
John Palecki

Mr Potato Head

Marc! You call it idiot scale! 1:32, but I say it's a whole lot easer to look at the ruler! HA LOL
Gil
MPH for short!
Gil Flores
In exile in Boise Idaho

Malachi Constant

The angle of the dangle is inversely proportionate to the heat of the beat ...

Check your spam box to find ads for multipliers.
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

jim s-w

Hi All

Sorry for being dim but why not just divide by 35?  If something is 1000mm long in the real world it will be 28.57mm long in 1:35 scale.

I suppose I am missing a point somewhere  ???

Jim
Jim Smith-Wright

DaKra

I'm with Jim.  ??? A multiplyer looks like an answer you'd get if you asked an areospace engineer.   I just convert 1/1 measurement to inches and divide by whatever the scale factor is.   Or multiply the model dimension by the scale factor to get 1/1 scale.   

Here's a math question.  How do I figure the percent of enlargement or reduction to a drawing to go from one scale to another?  (I actually posed that question to an arerospace engineer friend, and the reply he sent me looked like Einstein's chalkboard after a pot of coffee-- there's got to be an easier way.)   

Math ain't my thing, fortunately its a skill that can be replaced by the $4.99 solar calculator I keep on my workbench!

Dave

Frederic Testard

I gave the answer above, Dave. To convert a plan in 1:n scale to a plan in 1:m scale, you enlarge by n/m. (If n < m, this means you reduce...)

Example : you have a plan in 1:48 scale and you want the thing in 1:64 scale. You "enlarge" by 48/64 = 0.75. That means you set the copier at 75% (and so you reduce the plan).
In the other direction, from 1:64 to 1:48, you enlarge by 64/48 = 1.33. So you set the copier at 133%.

Hope this is less difficult than general relativity... :)
Frederic Testard

DaKra

Thank you Frederic!  Crystal clear now, and I will enjoy explaining to my engineer friend, the simple way to solve this problem.  ;D

Dave