• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

1:32 projects

Started by james_coldicott, January 29, 2011, 12:40:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

granitechops

Hi James, I am sorry but your pics in  posts 11, 12, & 13 are only red crosses, cant access pics error 404 comes up
Don in sunny Devon, England

james_coldicott

Finally, with Russ' permission, a little bit of progress on the next structure kit. This is one half of the foundation for my 1:32 garage kit. The prototype is in North Wales and the kit will be a semi flat 3 x 14 structure. As long as our moderators are happy I'll post a few SBS pics of the processes I use to master and mould these parts?...

Cheers!

James

james_coldicott

Hi Don,

I think you are viewing them literally seconds after I post them- try again and let me know if you are still having trouble- I'll re-post the photo's

James

granitechops

Hi James nice work on the roof slate casting.
Can I just make an observation as one who has done roofing work with slate, all be it, in just one local area, but using welsh slate,

Probably being very, very picky,
but usually what I worked with, the slate split with a relatively straight edge on the long side, the vertical when laid, & most of the chips where on the ends where cutting ACROSS the grain caused roughness & chipping,
Ok so some very poor grade slates, were more like split stone in thicknes & were more rugged, but they are probably much less common.
Just my personal opinion, it doesnt look quite right to me.

Now Skips,  that is one of my favouirite subjects, keep 'em coming

granitechops

Quote from: james_coldicott on February 06, 2011, 04:46:59 AM
Hi Don,

I think you are viewing them literally seconds after I post them- try again and let me know if you are still having trouble- I'll re-post the photo's

James

James just retried, but still get 'error message http 404 not found'

FYI, the slate pic in post 14 has no red cross above the  link & opens immediately with a left click

the others didnt open with either a left click, or even a right click open in new window

james_coldicott

Hi Don,

interested in your observations of chipping on slate roofing. This is one of about 2000 old slates I have in stock here, picked at random but of the same size as the slates modelled... a Duchess 12 x 24 inch slate.

Not the oldest slate I've taken off a roof but the weathering and chipping are even all the way around.

Certainly not as thick or chipped as these slates...

http://www.vtslate.com/images/slate_roof_close.jpg

the carving and casting process I use necessitates a slate that is thicker than the typical British prototype but actually quite close. The slates are carved from a single block of plaster.

Not the best photo but shows very even chipping on the bottom edge of the tile with larger, more random chipping on the vertical edges...

James

Carlo

James -
I too love those Bagnalls as seen on the Brede Valley Tramway.
I am also having trouble seeing your images. I get the dreaded "404" message.

I am looking for some good plans and more prototype pics of one of these Bagnalls.
Can anyone help?
Carlo

james_coldicott

...just reloaded the photo's. Hopefully they are ok now? They are showing up fine on my mac.

Carlo, I too would welcome more information on the 18" gauge Bagnall locomotives.

James

finescalerr

All the photos show up perfectly on my computer. They leave only one question: When are you going to do some modeling? -- ssuR

james_coldicott

Hi Guys,

been a while since I posted any progress here so a few pics for you.

Test fitted some castings for McPhersons garage...

james_coldicott

...none of the above have had any 'fettling' of any kind- just wanted to check all the parts went together.

Started colouring some of the plaster castings today...

james_coldicott

...one last one of the garage and one of my new wheels that have just come into stock. There are other makers of 'curly spoke' wheels for O scale but slightly undersize for 1:32 at 9mm diameter and .088" wheel tread.

These are accurate 1:32 scale 12 inch diameter (3/8" or 9.52mm) with a .110" tread. Blackened nickel plated brass tyres on an injection molded wheel centres, fitted to a 28mm pinpoint axle to allow .750"/19.05mm gauge (2 foot gauge in 1:32). These will be available in 3 gauges... 2 foot gauge (.750"/19.05mm) '20 inch' (16.5mm) and 18 inch gauge (.560"/14.2mm)

'20 inch' is in inverted commas as it is not strictly accurate but you will notice a useful correlation between the 3 gauges in 1:32 and On3/HO/Sn3 track gauges...

Next to come is a 12" Orenstein & Koppel 4 hole disk wheel.

James

artizen

The last photo is very nice. Keep them coming.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

shropshire lad

Looking good , James , you've nailed the colouring of the bricks . And the render is looking nice and gloomy . Can't wait to see it finished .

I'll have to get me some of those wheels you're selling , especially the O&K ones when they arrive , so I can build some wagons to go with my locos .

Nick

finescalerr

The wheels are satisfactory and the model looks somewhat better with paint. -- Russ