• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Heywood Coupler Renderings....

Started by W.P. Rayner, February 13, 2011, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W.P. Rayner

I've been working on a gas pump drawing for another member of this forum and becoming frustrated with progress on that, turned to what I thought would be the simple task of drawing up the parts of the Heywood Coupler. Two and a half days later and following many colourfully expressive moments, I completed the preliminary renderings below of the coupler body. For a seemingly simple part, it was actually quite difficult to draw in 3D. Next to draw is the "hook" (two versions: one lettered for Duffield Bank Railway, the other for Eaton Railway). Once complete the file will be sent for rapid prototyping in 1:12 & 1:6.

Paul

EZnKY

Very, very nice Paul.  I feel your pain with the digital modeling.  It's getting all the various fillets to work that trips me up.  I always seem to get to a point where the geometry falls apart or the computer stops being able to render the form.
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

Frederic Testard

Frederic Testard

W.P. Rayner

Thank you gentlemen...

Quote from: EZnKY on February 13, 2011, 01:20:30 PM
It's getting all the various fillets to work that trips me up.  I always seem to get to a point where the geometry falls apart or the computer stops being able to render the form.

That's a frequent problem Eric. Proper sequencing of the application of unions and fillets is very important. Get the sequence wrong and the software won't complete your request, generate a totally unexpected form or, in the worst cases, will shut down completely. Through the years of experience I've learned something about the sequencing but every once in a while, such as with this part, I have to rethink the entire process to get it to work properly. One problem I had with a particular fillet application traced back to a faulty union which resulted from a difference in dimension of .0000001" between the mating surfaces! Since I normally work to a tolerance of .000001, I had to change tolerance preferences in the software in order to track down the problem. Dimensioning was showing the parts as being the same when in actual fact they weren't. It took ages to finally track that issue down...

Paul

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

W.P. Rayner

Today I finished drawing the complete Heywood Coupler assembly. There are two versions of the "hook," one lettered for the Eaton Railway and the other for the Duffield Bank Railway. Renderings below show the two versions plus a view from beneath. Additional renderings can be seen at the Roughboy site. Next step is to have the coupler components (minus the pivot pin) rapid prototyped in 1:12 and 1:6 scales.

Paul

EZnKY

Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

W.P. Rayner

Thanks Eric... Today I revised the renderings with improved textures and a few other changes. The new versions replace the old in the post below.

Paul

Ken Hamilton

Holy Crap.  Those drawings are amazing.
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

finescalerr

You are revoltingly competent. -- Russ

pwranta193

It's always so nice to see someone do so well with their first time use of the CAD programs  ;D (I keep looking for the smiley face of me driving the rail spike through my temple).

Paul - these are some amazing images... looking at your page, I take it this is something that you've done for more than a semester or two.  These are beautifully done - and I ogle at the complexity of the fittings (organic shapes) and what they must take to do in 3D.

While knowing nothing about rail stuff, I'm digging the design work in your threads.

Paul (W.R.) 
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

Chuck Doan

I thought I noticed some texture...nice!
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

EZnKY

Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

W.P. Rayner

Thanks guys...

Yes Paul, I have been doing this for a while  ;).  The good thing is though, just about every time I work on a drawing, I learn something new about the software and process or figure out a better way to accomplish what I need. Organic shapes are especially difficult. I think it took just about the same amount of computer time to draw the coupler as it did to draw the entire van superstructure. As with anything worth doing, the learning curve never ends...

Paul

W.P. Rayner

Getting back to work on the Heywood couplers... Here is a rendering of the two versions of the standard Heywood freight coupler, one for Eaton Railway, the other for Duffield Bank. I'm still working on the passenger versions which differ in their mounting as they were mounted directly to the bogie. These were originally drawn and rendered in Cobalt. I've just reworked them in Autodesk Inventor and rendered them in KeyShot. Next step is to separate the individual components and sprue them up in preparation for rapid prototyping.

Paul