• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Drawings for 2 car garage?

Started by SandiaPaul, February 23, 2011, 03:37:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marc_reusser

If you decide that you really want an overhead garage door instead of the swinging doors, here is the data from the 3rd Edition Architectural Graphic Standards (1941).

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

marc_reusser

...here some car data from the same AGS.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Also from the same AGS, some "Recommended" garage sizes for private garages.

Marc

M-Works

marc_reusser

Paul,

Hopefully this will give you a start. Feel free to ask if you need more, or anything else/different.

Marc

M-Works

SandiaPaul

Holy garages! Thanks Marc this will certainly get me going! Because of this info I'm starting to rethink the project a bit...I might include a bit more than I had planned.

Just to clarify...the dimensioned lumber from then would be ACTUAL sizes, ie a 2x4 was 2" x 4"?
Thanks again!

Paul
Paul

marc_reusser

Based on personal experience, that's a tricky question...and I could only give a very non definitive...."yes and no" as an answer. I have run into both conditions....and there is no defining reason or rule of thumb...I have seen small rickety bungalows built with actual size lumber...and large estates built with nominal lumber all during the same time period or year. And I have also found that this may vary regionally as well....ie a 1930's home in Tucson AZ, using nominal.....a home in the redwood forests of Northern CA, w/ actual size.....my 1926 home uses nominal sizes.....I have even had the rate case where it was mixed....the exterior and structural walls were actual size....while non-bearing interior walls and decorative construction was nominal..

.....and I have no idea how it was in the Midwest or east...I have not had any projects there.

For ease of construction using exist. wood  sizes I think you would be okay going with actual sized lumber.....if you get flak you can defend by saying the builder wanted a quality garage.....or much more basic...that though your scene is set in the thirties, the house/garage was built in the twenties or teens.

Marc

M-Works

EZnKY

My experience matches Marc's.  When I was doing historic preservation work in Kansas in the early 90s we found both nominal and actual sized lumber used at various points in the past.  It seemed to be related to wood species.  The hardwoods were still actual size, and rough sawn, while softwoods like pine tended to be nominal dimensions and planed. 
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky