• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Scratchbuilt Abandoned Shed Diorama

Started by mrboyjrs, February 23, 2011, 10:10:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrboyjrs

This was a simple project I did to assist me in a wood clinic I gave at this past years Craftsman Structure Show.
The footprint is only 7 x 7 inches, done in HO scale.

Jimmy Simmons
Monster Modelworks
www.monstermodelworks.com

finescalerr

A nice, artistic diorama. Thanks for posting, Jimmy. -- Russ

Chuck Doan

"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Frederic Testard

The wild vegetation, the wood, the roof : you're very good to say "abandonment", Jimmy.
Frederic Testard

Junior

This is a superb diorama! Have seen another picture showing the entire structure but there was no information whatsoever. Would be most interesting to know more about it.

Anders ;D

JohnP

That looks great, in HO no less. The photos are nice because they must have been taken in the sun. I also like that it is not all buggered up with heaps of castings. It is relaxing to look at.

John
John Palecki

Ray Dunakin

Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

darrylhuffman

Very nice work, especially considering it is in HO and not a larger scale.

Projects like this help me keep in mind that anyone who truly wants to build models can do so no matter how limited the space.

Years ao we had a model building display as part of our Fur Rendezvous.

All was done by public vote and it was soon obvious that large models always won over small ones no matter what the skill level.

I developed a motto that has served me well over the years:

If you can't build them good, build the big.

You don't need to build big models as you great little shed demonstrates.
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@yahoo.com
The search for someone else to blame is always succcessful.

mrboyjrs

Thanks Daryl, I've always enjoyed listening to your "perspectives". Would have liked to have been on that interview with Scott for the podcast...
There's a few people suggesting I move to larger scales... I just really like working in HO... In fact years ago when I really wasn't thinking about scales... I was following guys like Brian Nolan and Dave Revelia... I thought they were doing HO scale... Was a kick in the teeth to find out otherwise...
Jimmy Simmons
Monster Modelworks

Malachi Constant

Jimmy --

This really does look great for all the reasons mentioned!  Very moody and engaging scene ...

But one thing has been puzzling me, so I'm going to just ask (since I can't figure it out) ... was the structure abandoned before it was completed?  Or was it an open-air building?  The thing I can't figure out is that all the window openings are framed, but there's no evidence of windows or remnants of windows (broken glass, mullions, trim work, whatever) ... of course, complete window assemblies could have been removed and salvaged ... just wondering, cuz that part has me puzzled.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

SandiaPaul

Dallas,

Simple, the windows were re-purposed for another building at some point in the past! :)

Actually that was pretty common...
Paul

mrboyjrs

That is exactly why I model... two different people have completely different "stories" after looking at the diorama.  I call my type of modeling "Proto-Impressionism".  While trying to be proto-typically correct, I also embellish certain details to enable the viewers mind to fill in the rest of the story.   

I was inspired to build this structure after seeing a photo on www.flickr.com.  I was attempting to model the "feel" of the scene, not to exactly recreate the structure.  I will post the picture that inspired the build when I get home later.

In the photo the structure did not have any windows.  When I model I try to put myself in to the scene to create the story... I always saw it as an open air structure.
Jimmy Simmons
Monster Modelworks

Malachi Constant

Quote from: mrboyjrs on March 03, 2011, 03:09:07 PM
When I model I try to put myself in to the scene to create the story...

Mission accomplished!  Scenes drew me in and held my attention long enough to make me start trying to figure out the history of this here abandoned building I was seeing ... just like becoming fascinated with a real remnant of the past.  Well done.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

mrboyjrs

Here is the photo that inspired me to build this structure...
Here is the link to the photo on Flickr, the artist took a real picture and modified it digitally, The work he does is terrific.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajschroetlin/183236296/

Jimmy Simmons
Monster Modelworks

gin sot

The only criticism worth mentioning is that the shingles look too big and too haphazardly placed to my eye.

The weeds springing up on the inside are a nice touch.   8)