• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A 1918 Doane, Model HP, Low-Bed 6-Ton Truck in 1:16 scale

Started by Scratchman, December 14, 2007, 05:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scratchman

Marty,

O scale,

For the wooden spoke wheels on my O scale 1919 Packard, I started with an HO scale wagon wheel casting for the center, where I got them I don't know.  The castings I used had a 1/2" outside diameter.  So for the rim I used a slice of 1/2" inside diameter brass tube.  If you want your rim thicker you can add the next size of tube.  The front has a single tire and the rear has a double tire.  The tires are brass turnings that I turned on my lathe sized to fit over the rim.  To finish off with the hub I used a small washer and whatever you want for the cap. The plans are from a Kemtron plan pack.

For the picture of this O scale model, go to my Flickr site, under the O scale section :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

Gordon

marc_reusser

Gordon,

The O scale truck is a beauty! All those parts for the Doane are wonderful to look at.

Marty,
Maybe check Grandt Line for the spoked wagon wheels. I know they have several different types and sizes in O-Scale, and I have seen a few HO also.

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

Scratchman

Marty

Hand tools in 3/4" scale, there are none that I know of. Ozark Miniatures have some things in 5/8" and 7/8" scale that can be used. Because of the large scale it is easy to scratch some tools

Gordon

Scratchman

These two photos are of the truck parts that I use for a three dimensional plan.

Gordon Birrell

marc_reusser

Gordon,

Those are just plain beautiful. The pieces remind me/have the feel, of wood casting patterns. (like those used for sand casting or for making plaster casting molds.)

Marc

M-Works

Chuck Doan

Hopefully you can find a way to display these photos with the model at the contest. At the San Jose meet, they prohibited any additional info, which I thouht was pretty Boneheaded. >:(

Chuck
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

finescalerr

Sometimes I actually like to look at just subassemblies and unpainted models. Your photos, young Gordon, fall into that category; the subassemblies are art in themselves. Gorgeous. -- Russ

RoughboyModelworks

Outstanding - a true pleasure to look at... as are all the photos of your work.

Bill

TRAINS1941

Can't say much more than what was already said.  They just make you want to build something just beautiful, the most outstanding parts I've ever seen.
And the photo pretty good to.  Thanks Gordon.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Scratchman

The second part is the frame. I replaced the old stake pockets with new scratch-built ones that look more like the prototype. I added all of the connectors and there are at least 500 more parts on this frame than the pilot model. The Black paint is a primer coat. I may paint this part White or keep it Black (830 parts).

Gordon Birrell Scratchman   

Three photos one before painting and two primed  Black

TRAINS1941

Gordon

Oh my God!  I'm lost for words this is just so outstanding, awesome work and detail.  This is one of the finest I've ever seen here or any where.
Can not wait for the next pictures.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

marc_reusser

Yep......very beautiful.

Does the primer fill/hide the wood grain, or are you doing anything special for that?

Marc

M-Works

Scratchman

Marc,

The Black paint is a backing for the white top layer of paint. This first layer of paint also helps cement the small NBW and rivet castings to the wood parts. Most of the wood shapes have no wood grain in them. I have dusted the frame with chalk and did a good coat of Dull Cote. to see if I liked the color. I don't know if this helped much but I will do this full process one more time I think most of it will go away.I love these wood shapes   from Northeastern scale models for this application

Gordon Birrell   

finescalerr

Jeez Louise! Remarkable! Outstanding -- even the unprimed frame! Need I write more? -- Russ

Scratchman

Just added two new assemblies, the bed decking and the sideboards. I've now assembled all four parts, finishing the bed, and mounting it to the frame.

Decking: 240 parts
Sideboard: 280 parts

Gordon Birrell Scratchman