• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

A 1918 Doane, Model HP, Low-Bed 6-Ton Truck in 1:16 scale

Started by Scratchman, December 14, 2007, 05:38:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macsair

Quote from: finescalerr on December 16, 2007, 12:57:25 AM
Hey, Gordon, if you don't want to enter the truck by itself, I'll tell everybody I built it! Looks as though it's going to be pretty fabulous. Document it well and we'll put it in a Modelers' Annual! Very impressive. Thanks very much for the post. -- Russ
Can I do that also................::??

Scratchman

In the next photo I have added the Headlights and what I think is a rack for extra posts. This group of assemblies has 690 parts.

Brass wire screen from Precision Scale Co. comes in 60, 70, 80 and 100 Mesh 4" x 6" sheet @ about 7.00 per-sheet.

Gordon

TRAINS1941

Gordon

I hope your going to have this at the Portland, Or show this year.  It will make my trip all the more worth while.  I just showed them to my wife and she is totally impressed.

Jerry
Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Scratchman

I just added the new assemblies for the under body. There are 475 parts in these assemblies. The model still needs the chain assemblies and the front and back wheels. There are 475 parts in these assemblies.

Gordon Birrell
http://www.flickr.com/photos/77318580@N00/

John McGuyer

This thing is looking better all the time. You have truly raised the bar for making model trucks.

John

finescalerr

And this is just going to be "cargo" on a freight car? Gimme a break!

Russ

TRAINS1941

My God Gordon running out of words this is just a work of art.  Truly unbelievable.
The detail is just beyond expectations.

Jerry
George Carlin

Scratchman

Here's a photo of the last work on the under-body: the drive line, chain assembly, and brake drum. The wheels are next and then onto a critter for the load. Uncle Russ, I'm not building a freight car and I'm not sure what else I will do, maybe a diorama for the two models, or maybe something completely different. This assembly has 50 parts in it.

Gordon Birrell

finescalerr

This may be your best work ever, young Gordon. I really don't have words to express my admiration.

I guess I got it wrong. But that really puts you behind the eight ball: You'll have to build a critter to the same level of detail as the truck! If so, figure on a long article about the truck and a second article about the critter. In the meantime I've given your four wheel rolling stock article 15 or 20 pages in the upcoming Logging/Industrial Annual.

Russ

TRAINS1941

Gordon

Outstanding!!  Modeling at its finest.  Perfection at its best.
Can't wait to see the finished product and diorama this will sit on.

Jerry
George Carlin

TRAINS1941

Gordon

Thought I sent you an email but can't remember.
I was wondering how do you get the chain and gears to have that greasy oily look?

Thanks,

Jerry
George Carlin

jacq01

Gordon,   

this afternoon I came across a finescale railroader with some of you critters. This goes a lot further, really
   fantastic modelbuilding. A benchmark for all of us.

Jacq
put brain in gear before putting mouth in action.
never underestimate the stupidity of idiots
I am what I remember.

RoughboyModelworks

Gordon:

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, this is just superb work. Thanks for sharing...

Bill

Scratchman

Thanks guys for your comments. Jerry, all I'm doing is painting and then sealing with Dull Cote. I use Floquil that's in a rattle can, this is more flat than the bottle stuff. I'm not trying for an oily look but I am pleased with the way it has turned out.

Gordon

TRAINS1941

Thanks Gordon I'll have to try that it gives a very nice effect.  Will try it on gears on the next Western Scale Models Lathe that I still have to build.

Jerry
George Carlin