• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

[Completed] 1/350 Tantive IV Rebel Blockade Runner

Started by FichtenFoo, March 08, 2011, 08:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FichtenFoo

Is this where I post this? Non-RR Vehicles seemed.... wrong. LOL!

I really want to finish something for 2011... been so otherwise occupied! So I have a deadlined kit for Wonderfest, the resin Blockade runner in 1/350 scale. It's pretty big... about 17" long. Info here:

http://fichtenfoo.net/blog/tag/rebel-blockade-runner/

Chicks dig giant robots.

finescalerr

Look out, folks. He's at it again .... -- Russ

marc_reusser

Great to see you back at it. That is one big hunk of resin!
Look forward to seeing this progress.

....and....um.....I assume you mean WF 2012....cause I think this years is already over.  ;D ;D ;D

M
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

FichtenFoo

It's the US Wonderfest and it's in May. It's a huge sci-fi modeling convention in Kentucky each year. Have I ever gone though? Nope. I sux. It's not even that far, but I would need to get a hotel room and whatnot.
Chicks dig giant robots.

JESTER

Nice! I have a Randy Cooper Corellian Corvette kit I need to build.

I have a lot of pics I've collected of this ship, if you need any let me know.

-

FichtenFoo

Quote from: JESTER on March 09, 2011, 07:29:03 AM
Nice! I have a Randy Cooper Corellian Corvette kit I need to build.

I have a lot of pics I've collected of this ship, if you need any let me know.

-

Thanks for the offer. The kit came with a CD with 236 reference images so I'm probably good. :D However I'm always up for more refs... let me kow if you want me to zip up mine for ya as well. Maybe you can zip and upload them to megaupload.com.
Chicks dig giant robots.

pwranta193

Kentucky and Science Fiction.  Wow  :o - whodathunkit...

Two categories that I just don't instinctively place together...  Like Key West and Nun Convention.

Cool resin beasty!  (BTW, I'm still waiting for your shot at Schnabel design to go with the fish sub).

Paul
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

EZnKY

I even live in Kentucky and knew nothing about it!

It kinda flies in the face of your typical Kentucky stereotypes. 
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

FichtenFoo

Chicks dig giant robots.

Bexley

Would paint really chip like that on something that's supposed to be pretty big? I mean, I don't think you'd really see visible chips, as at that scale, you're talking paint chips four or five feet across at least flaking off.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

pwranta193

Bexley - I think in this scale those are actually asteroid dings... or ill placed satellite impact scrapes... have you seen Galaxy Quest?  Think of the their take on the classic "ooh - look at the pretty starship" scene where he scrapes it against the docking bay for about 75 meters :)

Fitch - yes - exactly... (his work is still some of my favorite organic meets mech) but I'm waiting for your interpretation - with that touch of the Jules Verne that I see in the Fish Sub  ;D  BTW, is the second edition of the sub still available?
Paul

"Did I mention this is a bad idea?"

FichtenFoo

Bexley: You should see the chips on the Studio Model used for filming. All the SW ships are pretty dinged up. It's part of the appeal.

Paul: Never considered Steampunking it... hrmmm. :)
Chicks dig giant robots.

Chuck Doan

One of the neat things about the original Star Wars was the weathering.
"They're most important to me. Most important. All the little details." -Joseph Cotten, Shadow of a Doubt

http://public.fotki.com/ChuckDoan/model_projects/

Bexley

I've seen the studio model, in person. And I thought the same thing. I would imagine anything a starship might encounter that's big enough to scrape off a 10' x 10' section of paint is going to do a little more than scratch the paint. "Space dust" or small debris might account for paint wear, but it just seems to me that the wear would appear softer, since the chips would be small, but viewed from a greater (scale) distance.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with matching the studio paint job, especially on a commission. I'm doing a similarly-scaled commission of an EVE Online freighter, but with no "studio" job to match. My first thought was to weather it like anything else, but since much of the paint wear on vehicles comes from use, it likely wouldn't be visible to the naked eye.
CounterClockwise

Bexley Andrajack

JESTER