• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

Shrimp boats 1/48

Started by Chris, March 10, 2011, 08:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Philip Smith

Chris

So the mast were built in brass with the first configuration for smallest trawler with a single mast
the main difficulty was to made the structure of each "beam"  :-\
but it looks ok at this point
Welcome to Wherever You Are!

EZnKY

Beautiful brass work Chris!
Eric Zabilka
Lexington, Kentucky

W.P. Rayner

Gorgeous work Chris... very crisp and clean, thanks for sharing this project.

Paul

Malachi Constant

The boats are outstanding and the fabrication of that mast is a beautiful piece of work!  Really enjoying these photos, and looking forward to a big haul of shrump!

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

finescalerr

It makes perfect sense to use brass for the masts and superstructure but I never would have thought of that. Very neat work. -- Russ

Marc988

Very nice !!

Looking foward to seeing the ships included in a layout !
BTW, any chance seing the layout on any exhibition somewhere in the future ?

Regards,
Marc

Chris

Marc the MRS layout will be in show in Paris (gennevilliers in May) maybe his last expo :'( but I'm gonna make a thread on it ;)
here's a link during the Adliswill show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hm_pe3JcWI&feature=player_embedded

The Trawlers will be on an O scale diorama of 6 feet long West Coast Florida theme during the seventies with a short line deserving shrimp industries with mechanical reefer,
so it's different, I hope that it'll be in show in Switzerland Adliswill 2012 not sure at the moment !!!

Some progress on N° 2 maybe I will call her Lucky Lady  ;D

Chris

Today after several days of raining
good weather for fishing ;D

finescalerr

The new photos above provide a good opportunity for a constructive suggestion about weathering your unpainted shrimp boats:

Look at the area around the bow, in the photos you just posted, where the anchor chain emerges. The coloration there (as in other places) seems, to my eye, too strong and looks like weathering powder on paint. (Actually, there would be chipped paint and rust there, too.) You can find the same effect on some other areas of that boat. Maybe a dilute overspray of paint would blend the strong coloration into the rest of the model. Just that one extra step would tone down the apparent overstatement.

Sometimes cameras exaggerate the contrast of our weathering so the model may look considerably better in person. Either way, I hope my comment will be a positive influence on the way you approach the boats under construction.

Russ

madmike3434

terrific modelling, i am very impressed.
mike

Marc988

Quote from: Chris on March 14, 2011, 05:40:52 AM
Marc the MRS layout will be in show in Paris (gennevilliers in May) maybe his last expo :'( but I'm gonna make a thread on it ;)
here's a link during the Adliswill show http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Hm_pe3JcWI&feature=player_embedded

The Trawlers will be on an O scale diorama of 6 feet long West Coast Florida theme during the seventies with a short line deserving shrimp industries with mechanical reefer,
so it's different, I hope that it'll be in show in Switzerland Adliswill 2012 not sure at the moment !!!

Hi Chris,

I was refering to the new diorama, any preview on the West Coast diorama?  ;)

As for the MRS, I feel lucky to have seen it a few years ago during an exhibition in Holland and spend my share of time in front it. I can only hope you can share some info on the layout and am sure the guys here will like what they see !! Highly recommended !

Regards,
Marc

Chris

Quote from: finescalerr on March 14, 2011, 12:08:59 PM
The new photos above provide a good opportunity for a constructive suggestion about weathering your unpainted shrimp boats:

Look at the area around the bow, in the photos you just posted, where the anchor chain emerges. The coloration there (as in other places) seems, to my eye, too strong and looks like weathering powder on paint. (Actually, there would be chipped paint and rust there, too.) You can find the same effect on some other areas of that boat. Maybe a dilute overspray of paint would blend the strong coloration into the rest of the model. Just that one extra step would tone down the apparent overstatement.

Sometimes cameras exaggerate the contrast of our weathering so the model may look considerably better in person. Either way, I hope my comment will be a positive influence on the way you approach the boats under construction.

Russ

That's right in fact it was an HO scale model that I made a few years ago now, and I've not a really good experience about weathering technics  :-\
this rust is too dark I think, & with an overspray and some wash I can obtain better results

marc_reusser

This is some absolutely beautiful scratchbuilding work...and just stunning brass work.  :o

Very depressing though...I now need to throw away my ship models :-\ :'(

Marc
I am an unreliable witness to my own existence.

In the corners of my mind there is a circus....

M-Works

madmike3434

boy, i bet there is a lot of O scale modellers would love to get their hands on this as a kit.

mike