• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

O-scale columns & railing

Started by Ken Hamilton, March 13, 2011, 08:01:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Hamilton

Speaking of "Wildhare Models O-Scale Photo-Etched Kits", I just finished the first official
build-up of the new Column & Railing set.  The instructions (which are limited with this kit
because so many different configurations are possible) will be done shortly. 
Here's one possible configuration, which doesn't utilize all the kit parts:

And here's the kit - two sheets, approx. 3.5 "x 7" each; 59 total pieces:

Designing this stuff is really fun and I'm really very thankful that (so far) the kits have been
very well received.  I hope you'll enjoy this one, too.
Thanks for looking.

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com
http://public.fotki.com/khamilton/models/

madmike3434

Those railings and columns are fabulous. Really exquisite detail.
I can see building another Beulahs house of enchantment , pool hall & bordello using these . Sent you a request on pricing.

mike

Mobilgas

Craig

Frederic Testard

The artwork for these railings and columns is wonderful, Ken.
Frederic Testard

Malachi Constant

Reminds me of some family heritage ... my great-great-(etc)-Grandfather, Yves Le Monnier, built the first "skyscraper" in the French Quarter, New Orleans.  It was the first THREE-story building there ... and with the high water table, it was presumed that such an enormity would quickly fall over.  (High water table?  Well, actually N.O. is below sea level ... sometimes more than others!)  Anyway, the building still stands and bears his "YLM" monogram in the wrought-iron balconies:

In 1811, Yves LeMonnier and François Grandchamps purchased the lot and unfinished
building located on the southeast corner of Royal and St. Peter Streets for the sum of
$16,000. They immediately engaged the services of two well known engineers and
architects: Arséne Lacarriere Latour, General Jackson's principal engineer during the
Battle of New Orleans, and Hyacinthe Laclotte, the engineer whose spirited engraving
of the famous battle has been frequently reproduced. They set to work and on
November 13, 1811 the "first sky-scraper" building (three stories) was completed and
ready for occupancy, and the $7,600 promised the architects for their work was paid.

Doctor LeMonnier moved into the two upper stories and selected for his study the
beautiful corner oval room on the third floor.  The ground floor was rented for shops.
From its corner window one can look at the iron-girded balcony which still bears his
exquisitely wrought "YLM" mono- gram.

From:  http://www.masoniclight.com/papers/08St.%20Doninque.txt

Now, I know the New Orleans reference will fill Russ' head with images of things flashing in the night ... but the wrought iron work is quite reminiscent.  Think you've done a great job of illustrating some of the possible uses and really look forward to seeing these show up on models.  Now, where did I put all those beads to give out?  ;)

Amusingly, Paris doesn't have a French Quarter -- probably because it's already in France -- but they have a fabulous Latin Quarter well worth a visit. ;)   Your iron work should be useful to modelers all around the world ... and in that regard, if the 1/35 carts go well, you might also plug this to the military modelers as the applications would carry throughout Europe, etc.

Cheers,
Dallas
-- Dallas Mallerich  (Just a freakin' newbie who stumbled into the place)
Email me on the "Contact Us" page at www.BoulderValleyModels.com

TRAINS1941

Why isn't there mouse-flavored cat food?
George Carlin

Philip Smith

A most useful classy product! I'll take a set when ready.

I'll post a photo of the church when I relocate the disc. Its Buried here somewhere :-\

Philip

lab-dad

I can just see some tawdry ladies clad in beads hanging over those railings!
Those are really stunning! Wish I had a spot for them
-Marty

chester

It's easy to see you're having fun Ken. Lovely work.

Ray Dunakin

Beautiful! Wish it was 1/24th scale.
Visit my website to see pics of the rugged and rocky In-ko-pah Railroad!

Ray Dunakin's World

Ken Hamilton

Ray, I do have some loose 1/2"-scale columns and ornate scroll work. 
Probably not enough to offer on the Wildhare website, but when I get them
organized I'll list them in the "Odds & Ends" Fotki album.  I'll keep you posted...

In the meantime the O-Scale kit is ready.  Again, not on the website yet,
but you can order directly through me until it's up.  They're $24.95 + $2.00 postage.
When they show up on the website, postage will be $3.00. 
Drop me a line at khamiltonsa@aol.com for details...

Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Philip Smith

Ken received kit Saturday!

A fine job I should add!
registration is pefect!
HOW YA DO DAT? ;D

Philip

Ken Hamilton

Quote from: Philip Smith on March 21, 2011, 03:08:59 AM
Registration is perfect!
HOW YA DO DAT?
AutoCAD, and cutting and pasting print-outs to double check the fit. 
That part was REALLY fun with the Fire Escape kits........

Glad you like it, Philip.  Let's see some pictures....!!
Ken Hamilton
www.wildharemodels.com

Hauk

Quote from: Ken Hamilton on March 13, 2011, 08:01:43 AM
Speaking of "Wildhare Models O-Scale Photo-Etched Kits", I just finished the first official
build-up of the new Column & Railing set.  

If there ever was a kit that shows the power of photo-etching, this is it!
Regards, Hauk
--
"Yet for better or for worse we do love things that bear the marks of grime, soot, and weather, and we love the colors and the sheen that call to mind the past that made them"  -Junichiro Tanizaki

Remembrance Of Trains Past

madmike3434

Got my set in the mail this morning......fantabulous.  Now whats next in O scale to be photo etched ???
mike