• Welcome to Westlake Publishing Forums.

News:

REGARDING MEMBERSHIP ON THIS FORUM: Due to spam, our server has disabled the forum software to gain membership. The only way to become a new member is for you to send me a private e-mail with your preferred screen name (we prefer you use your real name, or some variant there-of), and email adress you would like to have associated with the account.  -- Send the information to:  Russ at finescalerr@msn.com

Main Menu

cricut - inexpensive CNC cutter

Started by hjsullivan, March 16, 2011, 01:21:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artizen

Dakra gets my business! As long as you are prepared to work in 1:24!  ;D

As for spending $600 on a Craft Robo - I think I would get better mileage out of a small desktop CNC machine? Even at $3000 plus it has the potential to do more with a greater range of materials. But then, you only get what you pay for and the Craft Robo was never pitched at the finescale modeller - its market always was and always will be the scrapbooking fraternity who work in a larger scale than we are trying to achieve.

As Russ said, looking forward to see what a creative finescale modeller can achieve with one though.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

artizen

So you can do complex stuff with these cutters! There is some nice stuff in those two threads. I would certainly be very happy with those results particularly in 1:160 scale.

But then, I have never described myself as a finescale modeller, just somebody who wants to learn and do better each time. I may comment on this forum but I will never show my work here because it simply does not come up to your standards. And I'm actually happy with that - I model for stress relief and because I actually enjoy it, including all the mistakes. I have never worked out what a rivet is and do I care? Not really, just want to do better each day using techniques I have been shown on forums like this one. My modelling has improved even in the last four months and being given access to threads that show that alternative equipment can produce impressive results is what I want to learn. I can bet that the more complex buildings using a simple cutter take quite a while to cut and finish though!

Just my two cents worth.
Ian Hodgkiss
The Steamy Pudding - an English Gentleman's Whimsy in 1:24 scale Gn15 (in progress)
On the Slate and Narrow - in 1:12 scale (coming soon)
Brisbane, Australia

clevermod01

I'm visiting forums all over the net. Some are getting interesting results with scribing bricks and boards.The cutter used here is the Silhouette which is around $200.
This is from therailwire.net

clevermod01

In the last couple of months I have done a lot or research on this in preparation for my company, Clever models to begin offering this type of machine to our users.
There are two brands of cutters that are suited to modeling,
that is they have the precision and flexibility. They tend to the high end of available digital die cutters.
the Bosskut Gazelle Is a very capable machine that is generally found in the $400 to $500 range. Unfortunately they seem to be back ordered about 3 months.
The other machine worthy of consideration is the KNK Maxx series. these run from $600 up to $1100 and represent the top of the line. Cutting area is from 13" to 24". Wile 90% of what I do is Card stock these machines do a fine job on thin plastic (.02) and several other materials.

You can get "Circut" die cutters at best buy and craftrobo, wishblade and silhouette are all available under $300. I can't recommend them for modelers. You can't judge all die cutters based on their performance. The Silhouette skirts the edge. It could be useful in limited ways.

If anyone wants specific technical questions answered. please ask.
Thom

finescalerr

When you have time, please show us specific modeling examples of what the two top end cutters can do, especially in direct comparison with a laser if possible. Also please explain how (or whether) you would use them to produce Clever Models kits. -- Russ

DaKra

What are the software options?  I'm interested in buying a good machine, but the last thing I want to do is learn yet another graphics program.  Can I print off Adobe?   

Dave

clevermod01

Dave, they do have their own software that is includede but you can use Illustrator or Corel draw as well. In my case I need to cut pre-printed material so i have to use their software to add registration marks. If your just cutting and not registering you can use any vector program. I think you would find it similar to your laser in that you are balancing speed and force depending on the material.
Grained materials will be the most difficult because of the structural stability issue. I would think wood might shatter. You can cut styrene up to .02 or thicker in multiple passes.

Thom

clevermod01

PS. Dave for your level of work, I wouldn't even bother looking at anything but the KNK Maxx. Start your research there. If their machines wont do what you want, nothing will. There is a yahoo group "KNK modelers"